Mautic 5.0.3 upgrading issues

Your software
My Mautic version is:5.0.3
My PHP version is:8.1
My Database type and version is: 10.3.39-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.20.04.2

Your problem
My problem is: I am facing few issues after upgrade to Mautic v5.0.3 from Mautic v4.4

1. Email speed is very slow it seems 100/min or less but have capability to send
    30/sec. we are using amazon ses api. we are using mail sending type default
    i.e. Immediately not Queue. In earlier version i.e v4.4 it was working fine as per
    our expectation. Need urgent support to fix this.

2. In Mautic 5.0.3 we are unable to configure bounce management through
    amazon api webhook like we did earlier. Please help on that.

3. We are also started getting below error in log file everyday after migrate to
    mautic 5.0.3, earlier it wasn’t there.

[2024-02-10T06:04:07.542534+00:00] mautic.CRITICAL: Uncaught PHP Exception Mautic\CoreBundle\Exception\InvalidDecodedStringException: "The string ÊÚ5¢{s¢<ºŠyïwãÎÈ»ÊÚ2¢{i¢6»s:1Ú"Ëgír éÏn.Ïånz¢£i:šÛi¢9°š7»ºžÚ"Ï ak"£i:šÜ·šÛs¢:ºŠyôË¢£yºš8ºŠ<µË;°ÊØâž×åÏ ³ž8²¡Ö°Ÿ8¢£yºÚ"n

áÍÈ»s:8¢(±š8µ¡×µžÈ»s:7¢(ãj înkìŠ;a¢7º{yºžÚ"Ï ak “£i:šÜ·šÛ}~ is not a serialized array” at /var/www/html/mautic/app/bundles/CoreBundle/Helper/ClickthroughHelper.php line 34 {“exception”:“[object] (Mautic\CoreBundle\Exception\InvalidDecodedStringException(code: 0): The string ��5�{s�<��y�w\u0018��Ȼ��2�{i�6�s:1��"�g�r\u0007��n.�\u001c�nz��i:��i�9��7�\u0019���"�\rak\f"�i:�ܷ��s�:��y��\u001a��y��8��<��;�������\n��8��ְ�8��y���"n\u000b��Ȼs:8�(��8��׵�Ȼs:7�(�j\u0007�nk�;a�7�{y���"�\rak\f"�i:�ܷ��}~ is not a serialized array at /var/www/html/mautic/app/bundles/CoreBundle/Helper/ClickthroughHelper.php:34)”}

Please help to fixes those issue

I’m encountering similar issues after upgrading to Mautic v5.0.3. Here are the details:

Mautic Version: 5.0.3 PHP Version: 8.1 Database type and version: 10.3.39-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.20.04.2

1. Email speed is significantly slower after the upgrade. Despite having the capability to send 30 emails per second, it seems to be sending only around 100 emails per minute or even less. We are using Amazon SES API with the default mail sending type set to Immediate, not Queue. In the earlier version (v4.4), it worked fine according to our expectations. Urgent support is needed to resolve this issue.
  2. Bounce management configuration through Amazon API webhook is not possible in Mautic 5.0.3 as it was in the earlier version. Assistance with configuring this would be greatly appreciated.
  3. After migrating to Mautic 5.0.3, we’re encountering the following error in the log file every day:
[2024-02-10T06:04:07.542534+00:00] mautic.CRITICAL: Uncaught PHP Exception Mautic\CoreBundle\Exception\InvalidDecodedStringException: "The string ÊÚ5¢{s¢<ºŠyïwãÎÈ»ÊÚ2¢{i¢6»s:1Ú"Ëgír éÏn.Ïånz¢£i:šÛi¢9°š7»ºžÚ"Ï ak "£i:šÜ·šÛs¢:ºŠyôË¢£yºš8ºŠ<µË;°ÊØâž×åÏ ³ž8²¡Ö°Ÿ8¢£yºÚ"n

áÍÈ»s:8¢(±š8µ¡×µžÈ»s:7¢(ãj înkìŠ;a¢7º{yºžÚ"Ï ak“£i:šÜ·šÛ}~ is not a serialized array” at /var/www/html/mautic/app/bundles/CoreBundle/Helper/ClickthroughHelper.php line 34 {“exception”:“[object] (Mautic\CoreBundle\Exception\InvalidDecodedStringException(code: 0): The string ��5�{s�<��y�w\u0018��Ȼ��2�{i�6�s:1��"�g�r\u0007��n.�\u001c�nz��i:��i�9��7�\u0019���"�\rak\f"�i:�ܷ��s�:��y��\u001a��y��8��<��;�������\n��8��ְ�8��y���"n\u000b��Ȼs:8�(��8��׵�Ȼs:7�(�j\u0007�nk�;a�7�{y���

Hi,
regarding 1 and 2:

You can read more about them in the release communication and docs.

https://docs.mautic.org/en/5.x/channels/emails.html#bounce-management

Spoiler:
API is slower, because it’s a different way how emails are processed
Feedback loop is not ready, coming very soon.

Any solution to speed up sending email? That lower rate of sending email is a big disadvantage.

The solutions are in my opinion:

1. to create a plugin, that supports higher sending speed. (Some already working on it, no estimations)
  2. Downgrade to 4.4.11 where you can get higher speeds

@joeyk Thank you for the answers.

create a plugin? The main function in higher version delivered by default decrase speed of sending email? Core functionality? That really strange decision.
I can live with rpoblems with upgrades, lack of documentation, hard to configure cron, etc. . I understand this is open source project. But - again - decrase sending email speed in main new version? This is huge step back - in my opinion - for people who are not programmers but more marketers.
It should be announced more clearly. Then I will stick with previous version.

Hi,

I understand that you are frustrated. But the reality is, that with the amount of people at hand we can work just this fast.

The sending speed decrease is due to transport changes. Something that Mautic has to deal with.

Let me give you an example. We all always thought about electric cars as an upgrade to gasoline cars. But electric cars had a range of only 30% of a gasoline car, and a lot less charging stations.
But this is just temporary, electric cars will outperform gasoline cars.

Change comes in steps, and Mautic’s new improved transport is no different. In Mautic 4 you could only use specific transports that were written especially for this purpose. Now you can benefit from default symfony transports and M5 already offers more transport then M4 did.

There is room for improvement: we don’t start M5’s journey with a 5 star transport, that is super fast, does no api feedback loop and has no special features. But we start with a good stable one, that is just fine for 90% of marketers. (lets not argue about this %)

This speed is not good enough for everyone of course, an Mailjet already has a better plugin, and I am already testing others as well. The faster version will also be released soon, and there are good people working on the feedback loop already.

If you would look back in the forums, you would find a very similar forumpost from be from 2021. I was raging why Mautic 3 had no Amazon SES Api transport at all. It was kindly explained to me, that with the amount of contributions this is the speed Mautic can be developed.

My first response was, that I’m not a developer, just a marketer, and it’s not my job to contribute. Then I joined the Mautic slack, started to talk to people, and participated at Mautic Friday testing sessions. It became clear to me, that not only coders, but also other contributors are missing from the Mautic team.
We need people to test PRs (Super easy - with a click of a button), create Knowledge base articles, report and triage bugs, answer forum questions, improve documentation.

Participating and reading github has a hidden superpower: you will know what’s going on. By participating at friday testing sessions, you can understand what improvements are supposed to happen, and when will they happen.

2 Likes