Meeting notes 9th January 2020

Welcome to the team meeting! If you haven’t done an asynchronous meeting before, please respond in threads :slightly_smiling_face:

Also note you can start a reply with :bust_in_silhouette: to be anon, or :no_entry_sign: to go off the record and not be included in the notes, which will be exported and saved to Google Docs, and posted on the Community Forums.

The meeting will be open for 24 hours, after which the notes will be exported. People may comment thereafter but these won’t be included in the notes.Let’s get going! :arrow_down:

1️⃣ Introductions - who you are, where you're from, how you're involved with the team, and a brief how-were-the-holidays if you celebrated!:christmas_tree:

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hi folks, I’m Ruth and based in the UK, I’m the Community Manager. Had a busy Christmas with family in the south of England and then was away on retreat for a week up in the Scottish highlands over New Year (also celebrated my birthday there!). Appreciated having some time off the grid!
Chinmay Athavale Hi All, I am Chinmay from India. I work as Business Analyst in a CRM company. Its been few months I am associated with mautic.
jordan8037310 Hi folks, I'm Jordan Ryan , CTO of Facet Interactive. We are a Los Angeles HQ'd and remote-working team. We focus on growth strategies and how technology infrastructure supports growth campaigns.I think I watched 7 tv series over the break. :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Wow, 7 series! Any recommendations?!
jordan8037310 @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Watchmen on HBO was by far the best out of the lot. Witcher on Netflix was good. I finished Lost In Space (netflix), Hanna (amazon prime), and started rewatching True Detective Season 1 (HBO) with my wife, which is an eternal classic for me from Matthew McConnaughey's acting (most excellent)

2️⃣ .1️⃣ Documentation - Update on progress with Grav

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’ve been stuck due to my laptop imploding before new year, working on recovering my setup and will have it uploaded to a development area by the end of the week. Sorry for the delays!
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) As a bit of a back-story for those who haven’t been in earlier calls, we’re looking at an alternative for the Mautic documentation (mautic.org/docs) because at the moment it’s pretty restricted and the tool we use is moving away from open source.Also, it’s hard for marketers (who may not be familiar with git) to contribute to the documentation as there’s no web-based user interface.We’re looking at using www.getgrav.org with the Learn2 theme, gitlisten (so changes in the UI are pushed over to Git automatically), and a bunch of other tools.
jordan8037310 Why can't users use GitHub to make edits live on the site? This seems like a lower barrier to entry in the short-term if there are some proper documentation videos.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) You can make a PR to update the documentation, but that requires a Github account, and understanding how to edit markdown files and make a PR. Plus you can only do one file at a time in the UI on Github (afaik)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) github.com/mautic/documentation
jordan8037310 Yes, I know a PR is necessary for the edits, but GitHub keeps things mostly streamlined. I don't see why you wouldn't require an account to allow someone to edit the docs, so I think that point is moot.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Right but we’re talking about with the new system, allowing someone to log in with their Mautic (website or forums - using Auth0) login that they already have, clicking a button, making their change, hitting save, and it magically pushes it to the GH repo. Or, manually committing via a PR if people prefer that route.

2️⃣ .:two: Documentation - Knowledgebase update

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Same issue, laptop imploded and still trying to recover but will get this up and running as a demo by the end of the week. In the meantime, can we start collecting useful resources to add?In particular any content that is useful on Mautic.com/help will be going away soon, so if we want to take inspiration from their resources and write a version of the information for the open source product that needs to be done sooner rather than later (edited)

3️⃣ .1️⃣ Team organisation - identifying a team lead & assistant team lead

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We need to decide who is going to take on the lead and assistant lead positions, any volunteers?
jordan8037310 Can you post the requirements for the role here as a reminder?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I certainly can :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) https://forum.mautic.org/t/education-team-definition-call-for-members/11591 here is the definition of the team, and the vision/mission/responsibilities.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) https://www.mautic.org/governance has the outline of the community structure, and https://www.mautic.org/blog/press/response-to-community-consultation-on-the-governance-model-proposal/#leadership-election from here on is a bit more detail on what we suggested in relation to leadership elections/roles (but we’re appointing interim roles to get us going), how decisions will be made, etc.
jordan8037310 @pvasilion for discussion

3️⃣ .2️⃣ Team organisation - on-boarding new members

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Ideally we need to have a simple process for welcoming new members, onboarding them into the team, and supporting them in making their first few contributions.Also ideally have someone in our team who can help new contributors - introduce them to others, help them to find out what tasks we have open, and hand-hold through doing that first task.Any ideas or would someone like to write something up? Doesn’t have to be complicated (edited)
jordan8037310 Who knows what this list should include? I have no bearings on this so, while I'd be happy to type up a Notion checklist, I can't write it.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Good question - at present we don’t have any process or workflow really, so it would be a case of figuring something out based on the kinds of things people can get involved in (appreciate it’s a bit vague, we’re very early in the process of setting things up!)
jordan8037310 It should probably be a Google Doc since that is fairly universal for people, and people can leave comments if they don't understand something.

4️⃣ Forum - moderating and managing content

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) At the moment it’s primarily me doing the moderation, but I would like to build up a team. Maybe we can make a call for moderators?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) It would also be good if we could look at consolidating posts on often-asked topics into “mega post” giving answers to the questions and useful information which we can sticky. We made a start on looking into the topics, would someone like to take this on?
jordan8037310 Should probably need a call for moderators per section of the forums? (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We could do that indeed - we have the ability for moderators on the per-country forum categories already

5️⃣ Any other business

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) How are you getting on with the visual “how Mautic works” flow charts @LordPatrick ?

Participants:

@rcheesley , Chinmay Athavale, jordan8037310

1 Like