I sell wine both wholesale and retail. I have latest community Mautic freshly installed (but unconfigured) and wish to use it to capture leads for my wholesale customers but I am also interested in using these leads to market to retail customers.
I don’t want to be in a situation where I have 2 installations to manage and maintain, but each business has different branding. I am aware of setting up multiple CNAMEs so I can have one Mautic instance on two URLs and the links look like the right brand.
I guess what I don’t understand yet is how I can offer an unsubscribe email link that will unsubscribe a user from only one of the two brands. I could setup wholesale/retail as different segments. Is it possible to have the unsubscribe form remove a user just from one segment?
For example, if Bob receives an email from Wholesale Brand and Retail Brand he could unsubscribe from just Wholesale Brand. But if Hotel receives an email from Wholesale Brand and Retail Brand they could unsubscribe from Retail Brand only.
I am desperate to avoid all the overhead of managing two instances and also having to double-enter all the potential sales leads in to two systems and keep them in sync. I also want an easy way to stop all marketing across all brands to any customer at their request without having to do this on several systems. In the future I might also create new brands.
Any thoughts on the correct/best way to configure the system to support this?
Thanks in advance for any pointers!
This is just a workaround, but you don’t have to use Mautic unsubscribe.
You can use the concept of Categories for this.
- Create 2 custom fields: wholesale client, hotel client
- If someone unsubscribes, instead of the built in unsub link you would just use a link that brings the to a landing page eg. domain.com/unsub-hotel
- one someone visited this page (filter this with a segment) you can unsubscribe them from the right group (campaign event: update contact value)
Köszönöm szépen Jozsef!
This solution makes good sense and I’m really pleased it seems Mautic offers a way for us to achieve what we need.
While this might work, please keep the following gotchas in mind:
- Mautic comes with a one-click unsubscribe feature which is compliant with RFC 8058 and RFC 2369. So people might nevertheless (accidentally) unsubscribe from both.
- The way you’re doing things won’t flag people DNC. This might lead to situations where you’ll send unsolicited emails.
- People might flag your emails as spam as a result. This harms your sender reputation.
- This poses a risk of GDPR violations.
Don’t know your specific use case (apart from your description), but isn’t it likely that if Bob unsubscribes from one channel, they don’t want your other channel, too?
I think it was a ‘general wondering’ if this is possible at all.
Like @peter_k mentioned, there are certain aspects you need to keep in mind if you do a solution like mine.
The general rule applies:
- Yes it’s possible to do it in Mautic, as pretty much everyhting is possible in Mautic.
- You have to know what you are doing.