Music Marketing: Location Targeted Emails

Hello all,

I’m new to Mautic but have been in music/email marketing for a number of years. Trying to assess the best method of getting up to speed.

Here’s the main priorities for wanting to use Mautic, in order:

• sending bulk emails for things such as new album release
  • sending location-targeted emails
  • delivering downloadable assets after successful form completion
  • in the future: tracking customers through WooCommerce integrated site

I have gotten through the initial setup and have moved Amazon SES out of sandbox (which I’ll be using to send emails). However, I can’t seem to find guides or documentation to help me through these specific issues below:

For sending location targeted emails, best case I need to be able to say “send email to 50 mile radius of this zip code”. Both my past and many of my future opt-ins will only come in with zip code information, not IP-based location.

1. Is there a way to choose something similar to “send email to 50 mile radius of this zip code”, or will I have to create segments for each individual city based on zip code “greater than” and “less than” values?
  2. What is the best way to import contact lists which contain zip codes in preparation for the above?
  3. Is it possible to convert zip code information into Mautic’s “Location” field, or would I even need to?

Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers.
1 Like

Hello all,

I’m new to Mautic but have been in music/email marketing for a number of years. Trying to assess the best method of getting up to speed.

Here’s the main priorities for wanting to use Mautic, in order:

• sending bulk emails for things such as new album release
  • sending location-targeted emails
  • delivering downloadable assets after successful form completion
  • in the future: tracking customers through WooCommerce integrated site

I have gotten through the initial setup and have moved Amazon SES out of sandbox (which I’ll be using to send emails). However, I can’t seem to find guides or documentation to help me through these specific issues below:

[b]For sending location targeted emails, best case I need to be able to say “send email to 50 mile radius of this zip code”. Both my past and many of my future opt-ins will only come in with zip code information, not IP-based location.

1. Is there a way to choose something similar to “send email to 50 mile radius of this zip code”, or will I have to create segments for each individual city based on zip code “greater than” and “less than” values?
  2. What is the best way to import contact lists which contain zip codes in preparation for the above?
  3. Is it possible to convert zip code information into Mautic’s “Location” field, or would I even need to?
    [/b]
    Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers.

Anyone have thoughts on the below?

Anyone have thoughts on easy location-targeted sending? I can’t find anything relevant in the forums or elsewhere.

I’ve been looking for the same thing! I’m trying to reach out to all of our users in an area about a local event, and I’m just not sure what the best approach is. Like you, I want to base it on a radius around a zip code. Did you ever find a solution?

(I’m the above user, new account)

I did finally figure out a method. It’s unfortunately a little convoluted. I’ve changed my targeting to just break it down by state instead. You have to use regexp, which is a pretty convoluted command language but also seems powerful. A bit above my pay grade.

To target an entire state by zip code:

1. lookup the zip code range for a state, for example: https://www.zipcodestogo.com/North%20Carolina/
  2. copy and paste the range of zip codes into a regexp numeric range generator, which will spit out a regexp string
  3. in a Mautic segment select filter > zip code, then choose “regexp” from the dropdown. Paste the value you got from step 2 into that open value box
  4. wait for Mautic to cron update your segments, or force it manually

Should look something like this:

If you want to do a radius around an area, use this tool then use the output in the above method:
https://www.freemaptools.com/find-zip-codes-inside-radius.htm

You would have to either understand regexp or otherwise find a generator which you can enter a bunch of zip code values that will spit our a regexp string that will target only those values.

Hope this helps you!

2 Likes

I also installed this Mautic plugin which helps filtering by state depending on what source your contact information is coming from:

1 Like

That’s actually very helpful! What tool do use to generate the regex?

1 Like

OK, so I figured out an approach that’s a little less-elegant. Basically, I’m taking my entire list of values and just putting a pipe between each of them, e.g. 01068|01420|01430|01431. It could be shortened up quite a bit, but I’m not going to take the time to do it manually and couldn’t find a useful tool for it.