Mautic Community Forums

Email Marketing Business Setup Advice

Hi,
I’m new here and this is my first post. :wave:
I have just discovered this product and it looks amazing. Looking forward to testing it out.

I am wanting to start an email marketing business and looking for some advice. From what I have gathered, I am going to require the following

• VPS with the recommended tech stack to host Mautic
  • A domain name
  • Amazon SES
  • Email service provider? (is this required to create email addresses?)

As I’m just starting out, my list is zero. What size VPS would you recommend? I have seen the minimum requirements somewhere to be 2 core, 4 gig of ram. Is this a good starting point?

What size storage would be a good starting point?

If I’m using Amazon SES to deliver my mail, I’m still going to need an email service provider to create my email addresses correct? I’m not 100% sure about this as it’s not clear in any of the YouTube videos or documentation I have read. If so, any recommendations for service providers? Looks like Amazon have WorkMail as a product. Does anyone use this?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Firstly good luck :slight_smile: To answer some of your questions:

1. To start with you can go with a pretty light server, something from AWS or Digital Ocean. I find it is worth paying the $5/mnth to DO you get more bang for you buck, and with what you are looking at it should be enough for the first few months of business. You can always scale up. If you do go DO please sign up with my referral link (https://m.do.co/c/1443f9d1d3f4) you will get $100 in free credit for your first two months.
  2. Yes you will need a domain
  3. You can go with Amazon SES or any other ESP that is integrated with Mautic. I usually use Sendgrid.
  4. You will need to have a “sender” email address you are sending from. The ESP is your delivery service, it is the company that takes the mails from mautic and delivers them to your contacts.

When you purchase a domain, from go daddy for example you can also create an email address from them, or you can signup to g-suite, or alternatively if you go for hosting you can set one up yourself.

Best advice is be persistent. Don’t be afraid to spend some money to learn.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Thanks @mikew :+1:
Clears things up.

Don’t go to GSuite or Yahoo if you intend to monitor incoming emails, as it is documented that inbox monitoring won’t work. Use native email hosting from the provider (webmail) or Outlook (Office365):