New Leads

Hi. Not sure if this is a configuration error from my part… I created a form, an email, two pages and a lead list in order to test this scenario:

1. An anonymous lead lands on a squeeze page (first page) with a form to capture email address
  2. When lead submits form, new lead is stored in the list and an email is sent to his address.
  3. Lead is redirected to a thank you page (second page).

The campaign configuration starts when the lead submits the form and ends by sending the email. The lead is stored by an action in the configuration of the form and redirection is also configured in the form.

When user lands on squeeze page I see in ‘Mautic Leads Management Page’ that an anonymous user is there identified by IP Address. When user submits form I can also see that the lead now is identified by email address and history reveals all the steps.

The problem is that if a take another computer inside my local network (but using same public IP address via a router) and visit the squeeze page, instead of identify that new computer as a new anonymous lead, that visit is registered as part of the history of the previously stored lead. If I submit the form in that computer with other email, mautic just update the previous lead.

I was using https and thought it might be something related to cookies but I then test the same scenario on plain http with a beta3 installation and had the same experience. (btw, in the configuration page there is an option to “Set cookie as secure”, if I change it to YES, configuration is never stored)

Is this normal, could be a configuration error, a bug? Thanks for any help.

Hi. Not sure if this is a configuration error from my part… I created a form, an email, two pages and a lead list in order to test this scenario:

1. An anonymous lead lands on a squeeze page (first page) with a form to capture email address
  2. When lead submits form, new lead is stored in the list and an email is sent to his address.
  3. Lead is redirected to a thank you page (second page).

The campaign configuration starts when the lead submits the form and ends by sending the email. The lead is stored by an action in the configuration of the form and redirection is also configured in the form.

When user lands on squeeze page I see in ‘Mautic Leads Management Page’ that an anonymous user is there identified by IP Address. When user submits form I can also see that the lead now is identified by email address and history reveals all the steps.

The problem is that if a take another computer inside my local network (but using same public IP address via a router) and visit the squeeze page, instead of identify that new computer as a new anonymous lead, that visit is registered as part of the history of the previously stored lead. If I submit the form in that computer with other email, mautic just update the previous lead.

I was using https and thought it might be something related to cookies but I then test the same scenario on plain http with a beta3 installation and had the same experience. (btw, in the configuration page there is an option to “Set cookie as secure”, if I change it to YES, configuration is never stored)

Is this normal, could be a configuration error, a bug? Thanks for any help.

Hi abenavides,

There does seem to be a bug in there that I’ll investigate and get back to you on.

So leads are identified by a combination of cookies and public IP address. Any anonymous lead from the same public IP is treated as the same lead as there is no definitive way that I can think of to ensure they are truly different entities and to prevent a massive clutter of anonymous leads. A cookie is placed forcing that lead from then on regardless of IP address.

Regarding your second lead submission, until that lead has made themself known, it would be assumed to be the first lead simply based on public IP address (cookies were cleared, same business, etc) so activity will be against the first lead. After the second lead submitted the form, and the system detected a different email, a new lead should’ve been created. So that is likely a bug that I’ll investigate. Also, what is not currently coded, which sounds like it should be, is moving all the same session anonymous activity to the new lead once created, so I’ve added that to our tracking as well.

I’ve created a github issue for this at https://github.com/mautic/mautic/issues/9 so we make sure it gets addressed.

Thanks!
Alan

Hi!

Just wanted to keep you updated that I believe the new lead on form submit issue is resolved. See https://github.com/mautic/mautic/issues/9.

Thanks!
Alan

Hi, I updated Mautic from github but I’m still seen site interaction from other computer registered as interactions from the first lead. Also, not sure if this is how its suppose to behave after update, but now I can not see any anonymous lead in the lead management page. However, once the lead is identified by form submission, interaction previous to submission is registered in lead details.

On the same topic of new leads, I have another question. I haven’t see how to do this in Mautic but correct me if I’m wrong. I want to be able to assign an owner for the new lead automatically on form submission based on some unique ID. I’ve only seen how to assign ownership manually.

I found that vTiger forms can assign ownership automatically but I’ll like to be sure that this can not be done with Mautic.

Thanks

There is still an assumption in there that activity from the same public IP is the same lead unless that lead identifies themself otherwise via a form. At that point, their activity for the current session is moved from the first lead to the new.

We can discuss changing this behavior. The other option is to treat every session without a lead tracking cookie as a new lead. But that has potential of creating a lot of duplicate anonymous leads. Different browsers, cleared caches, multiple devices (smartphone, Mac, etc) will each be counted as a unique lead. Not sure that’s a desired behavior for most?

As far as I know, there isn’t any reason for anonymous leads to not show but I’ll test when I’m back at my Mac working (after 1am and migrated to the iPad :-)). Note that anonymous leads will not show for the card/grid view. They only show in the list view.

As for the default owner, that’s not there but would be a good feature to have. What would some examples of unique Id be? Are you basing on values from from specific for fields? Or can we just add a default owner to the config of the create lead form submit action? Either way, could you create this as a feature request issue in the github repo?

Thanks!
Alan

HI!

Just posting back that as far as I can tell, anonymous leads are still available. Are you funneling in leads via one of our CMS plugins or just testing locally?

If you look at your leads table in the database, do you have leads that do not have a firstname, lastname, company or email? If so, do they show up if you search using is:anonymous? If still no, can you try logging out and back in. If they still don’t show up, then we probably have a bug that we need to root out :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Alan

I am having some issue:

1. When different user from same IP fill out lead form, it does not recognize it is a new lead, even if they enter a new email address… It only overwrites the original lead info… It does not create a new lead…

2. How is the lead signed to the user? I was logged in as UserB, and i created a form, and landing page. When a lead fills out the form, the lead does not appear in my “manage Leads” section? UserB has limited access via a role I crated. They should ability to view there own leads. If someone fills out the forms hat UserB created, shouldn’t that lead automatically go into UserB lead list?