Trying to understand lead updates

I am confused on the mechanism of updating lead information.

What I see is that if I change lead information from the same IP it is indeed changed. That raises the question whether this is correct behavior: You have NAT and proxies and dynamic IP. Companies have thousands of people behind a single IP address and I do not want all those different people updating one lead. But even with homes and mobiles, the ip addres is constantly moving around between people.

Is it possible to change this way of identifying users ? Doing it the other way around would also impose issues, like when must the lead be updated ? What if he moves to another location or marries and changes the lastname.

I am confused on the mechanism of updating lead information.

What I see is that if I change lead information from the same IP it is indeed changed. That raises the question whether this is correct behavior: You have NAT and proxies and dynamic IP. Companies have thousands of people behind a single IP address and I do not want all those different people updating one lead. But even with homes and mobiles, the ip addres is constantly moving around between people.

Is it possible to change this way of identifying users ? Doing it the other way around would also impose issues, like when must the lead be updated ? What if he moves to another location or marries and changes the lastname.

The tracking is currently based off of a tracking cookie which is stored in your browser. There is some linking that occurs but for the most part it is the cookie that keeps track of the lead. If they go onto another device a new lead would be created but when they submit a form with the same email or view a email sent by you it will combine the two leads back into one.

Does that also mean that when a new user with the same IP address access the site (so no cookie) a new lead will be created ?

I am wondering the same thing… I just installed Mautic and I am testing out forms and landing pages. I filled out a form and appeared in Leads. I tried to do it again, using a different names and email. Once I did that, it updated the first lead with a new name and email… I guess it recognized it was from same IP address, so it updated that same lead instead of creartinbg a new lead…

Is this a big, or correct functionality?

What if a whole classroom of students all signs up on the form… They are all on same IP, so will Mautic not identify that it is supposed to be 20 different leads?

Mautic is able to store multiple leads for one ip. The tracking is based off the individual computer/browser that they are using. So yes when someone goes accesses your site using one computer/browser and then the move to another computer with the same public ip another lead will be created. When that person does something like opens an email or submits a form that links them back to the original lead then that other computer is tracked against the original lead as well.