Problem with Bounces

Your software
My Mautic version is: 5.1.0
My PHP version is: 8.1.29
My Database type and version is: MariaDB 10.11.8

Your problem
My problem is: I have a clean installation of Mautic 5 on our server with cyberpanel. Everything works great except the Bounces process. Our system is not yet in production, we are doing tests with internal contacts. The problem is that when an email is sent to a fake mailbox from Mautic, the address configured as the sender does not receive an email with the bounce. Nothing happens and therefore that address is never marked as a bounce. If I send an email from the same mailbox that Mautic uses to send the emails but from the webmail to that same fake mailbox, the bounce actually comes back. I have been reading forums and watching videos for 2 weeks and I don’t know what else to do.
I am doing the tests using the same email address for sending, bouncing, unsubscribing and replying. I have tried using different mailboxes for each section and it doesn’t work either.
Obviously the mailboxes work well, because the monitored inbox and DSN test result in “Success!”. The emails are sent perfectly. The whole problem is that the bounces are not processed. I would appreciate if someone could help us with this. Thank you so much.

These errors are showing in the log: No errors

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:

How are you sending the emails? What plugin are you sung to send emails (Mailgun, SES, smtp)?

SMTP! The most basic and classic configuration, without any plugins.

I have discovered that when I remove the monitored inbox configuration, messages sent to non-existent email addresses do bounce and appear in the inbox. It is evidently a problem with incorrect configuration that adds the bounce addresses to the headers of the emails. It is clear that this can happen with Gmail, because it overwrites the headers, but it is happening to me with our local server and against any destination domain. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

I found the answer to my problem!!! Address tagging was not enabled in PostFix.

Edit /etc/postfix/main.cf

And add these lines:

Enable address-tagging for the + character

You can append more if you need to, like: ±

recipient_delimiter = +

Remove the tag from the forward address

propagate_unmatched_extensions =

I don’t know why there aren’t more people with my problem, greetings to all!

Don’t forget to reload postfix!
systemctl reload postfix

How can this be done with stalw.art because I had same issues and couldn’t find a solution?

You need to have SSH console access to the server to make this change. If you don’t have it, you can ask support if they can make the changes for you.

In my experience, inbox handling and bounce/unsubscribe handling via email monitoring was never totally reliable. If you want a more robust bounce handling, you should opt for a professional email sender like Amazon SES and properly configure the bounce webhook.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.