Problem with bounce handler

I have configured the bounce handler to work with Amazon SES, just sometimes the bounces are recognized and sometimes not. I have no clue what is happening. Is kind of annoying. I have configured to receive manual bounce notifications, and I need to confirm then one by one, because most of the times they do not get recognized. Anybody has a clue what could be going on?

Hello mautic community
We just started with mautic and have a problem with bounces.
Our bounces after a segment newsletter are not recorded in mautic. Different error messages come back by email.

One is:

Reporting-MTA: dns; mx0b-002f5901.pphosted.com.
Received-From-MTA: DNS; m0142975.ppops.net
Arrival-Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 06:30:36 -0600

Final-Recipient: RFC822;
X-Actual-Recipient: rfc822;
Action: failed
Remote MTA: DNS; panduit-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.
Diagnostic code: SMTP; 550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied. AS(201806281) [CO1NAM11FT016.eop-nam11.prod.protection.outlook.com]
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 06:30:37 -0600

Reporting-MTA: dns;suex03.sanitaer-union.local
Received-From-MTA: dns;sufm01.sanitaer-union.local
Arrival-Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:39:18 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822;
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.1.10 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipientNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup
X display name:

We are also unsure whether these mail addresses are actually no longer available, as they still worked with our old newsletter provider, mailchimp.

On the other hand, automatic messages from newsletter recipients are only partially transmitted to our sender mailbox. We have set up a test autoresponse for this purpose. However, this is not transmitted.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem and can help us? Thank you very much for your support.

Hi, did you set up any bounce processing?
There are different ways. Via API or via an email address set as bounce.

SMTP; 550 5.4.1 Means you should not send email from your IP/Domain, cause you are not welcome.
550 5.1.10 RESOLVER.ADR Means this address doesn’t exist OR someone doesn’t want you to send to it.

1 Like

Hi Joey, thank you very much for your support. In fact, it was because the processes were not really set up yet. We have set up the cron job for this now:

1. mautic runs the CRON JOB mautic:email:fetch
    a. Bounce emails in the configured IMAP mailbox are registered
    b. Mautic uses Variable Envelope Return Path (VERP) to check the return path headers.
    c. Mautic classifies the e-mail as bounce
    d. Contacts are marked as bounced email

Unfortunately, the bounces are still not registered in Mautic and I cannot send newsletters if the newsletter contains a bounce address. Instead I get an error message that the newsletter sending failed. Our agency is trying to find the error right now.

The problem with the undeliverable mails could possibly be due to the DMARC record. We will try this out shortly. I will keep you updated.

The DMARC record was not the problem. It was actually our mailserver Allinkl. We had to create a catch all mailaddress for mautic for the bounces. Since we had set the credentials for the catch all mail address in mautic, it works :).