Mautic Community Forums

Sometimes Leads are Created, Sometimes They're Not

I’ve configured Mautic so when someone downloads an eBook, a lead is created within Mautic, an email is sent to the lead, an email is sent to me, and a list in Mailchimp is updated.



When I receive an email letting me know an eBook has been downloaded, sometimes the lead does NOT exist in Mautic, yet has been added to the Mailchimp list.



I have no idea why some of the actions succeeded and some did not.



What is known to have succeeded is:

  • The email to me
  • The addition of the lead to the MailChimp list



    What is known to have failed is:
  • The creation of the Mautic lead



    What is NOT known either way is:
  • The email to the lead



    How do I troubleshoot this to determine what is happeneing? And more importantly, how do I fix this so it works reliably every time?

I’ve configured Mautic so when someone downloads an eBook, a lead is created within Mautic, an email is sent to the lead, an email is sent to me, and a list in Mailchimp is updated.

When I receive an email letting me know an eBook has been downloaded, sometimes the lead does NOT exist in Mautic, yet has been added to the Mailchimp list.

I have no idea why some of the actions succeeded and some did not.

What is known to have succeeded is:

  • The email to me
  • The addition of the lead to the MailChimp list

What is known to have failed is:

  • The creation of the Mautic lead

What is NOT known either way is:

  • The email to the lead

How do I troubleshoot this to determine what is happeneing? And more importantly, how do I fix this so it works reliably every time?

This is interesting. The lead has to exist in Mautic at some point for it to push to Mailchimp. So I guess the question is, what’s happening to the lead after it’s been created i.e. is it somehow getting merged with another on a form submit. But that shouldn’t be happening unless a lead field is incorrectly configured to be a “unique identifier” which could lead to lead’s being merged incorrectly (i.e. if a gender field is set as a unique identifier, Mautic will start merging all the “male” leads and all the “female” leads thinking they are the same versus something like an email field which is unique per lead).

I’m assuming you’ve tried searching for the lead by email? If this is a self-hosted version of Mautic, you can try looking through the audit_log table for lead updates and merges to see if any clues can be gleaned as to what is happening to the missing lead. Since knowing the ID of the lead that disappeared will be tricky, you will probably have to filter through the details columns for clues on email. You can try a query like this to help find related entries (append the table prefix to teh front of audit_log if you’re using one):

select * from audit_log where details like '%email@email.com%'

If this is a mautic.com instance, ping their support with an email address of a missing lead and they can look at the instance’s database for clues.

Thanks!
Alan

Alan,

Thanks! Your comment has pointed me in the right direction.

I agree that the lead had to exist in Mautic at one point.

This is a hosted instance so I will contact Mautic support.

Thanks again,