Mautic Community Forums

Tags vs. custom fields

When would you use one or the other?

I would say custom fields are more formal and used longterm. Tags are used more tactical / operational?

When would you use one or the other?

I would say custom fields are more formal and used longterm. Tags are used more tactical / operational?

One concrete question:
Would you save a persons contact language as tag or custom field?

Interesting question. some thoughts:

1. I am not sure if I can define a custom field as an array of variables and handle it accordingly (from the data types it looks to me that I can only define a list of fixed values). So if that is true, you need use tags if you are looking for an array of significant size.
  2. Also it seems to me that handling an array is well supported in the campaign builder for tags, but not for custom fields.
  3. On the other side it seems that tag handling is not supported much in the REST API - at least I did not find anything about in the documentation.
    So if you expect your contacts to have multiple languages and you dont need to access them with the API tags might be the best choice. If you are expecting just one language per contact, I think you are better off with custom fields.
    Looking forward to more thoughts on this (which might find their way into documentation at one point also)