Tracking Local vs Remote Assets

I am testing how tracking works with assets. I’ve placed a pdf in both the local storage location and a remote location (Amazon S3 bucket).

Currently, I’m not seeing tracking for the remote asset. Here’s how I have it set up.

1. Email is sent containing link to landing page (NOTE: landing page is not created using Mautic but rather Thrive Content Builder)
  2. Landing page contains a button with the link to download the pdf (link is the Amazon external link)
  3. The pdf opens in a new window

I’ve also placed the same pdf in the local assets. In the configuration, I changed the asset directory to be outside of the public_html folder (per your suggestions). The URL generated by Mautic does not open the pdf in a separate window, but rather prompts the visitor to save the file to their computer. Can this be changed? Is downloading to computer a better practice?

What is the best method to ensure I’m registering the download?

Should the button link to the asset on the landing page be the relative path generated by Mautic and not the Amazon external link?

Thanks.

I am testing how tracking works with assets. I’ve placed a pdf in both the local storage location and a remote location (Amazon S3 bucket).

Currently, I’m not seeing tracking for the remote asset. Here’s how I have it set up.

1. Email is sent containing link to landing page (NOTE: landing page is not created using Mautic but rather Thrive Content Builder)
  2. Landing page contains a button with the link to download the pdf (link is the Amazon external link)
  3. The pdf opens in a new window

I’ve also placed the same pdf in the local assets. In the configuration, I changed the asset directory to be outside of the public_html folder (per your suggestions). The URL generated by Mautic does not open the pdf in a separate window, but rather prompts the visitor to save the file to their computer. Can this be changed? Is downloading to computer a better practice?

What is the best method to ensure I’m registering the download?
Should the button link to the asset on the landing page be the relative path generated by Mautic and not the Amazon external link?

Thanks.