Visitor not being identified?

Your software
My Mautic version is: 4.3.1
My PHP version is: 7.4.3
My Database type and version is:

Your problem
My problem is: I have a mautic tracking 2 wordpress sites. Tracking pixel via the wordpress plugin is installed on both sites. Site A is working is 100%. Anonymous visitor are tracked and, once identified, their website clicks are linked to the known visitor.

But on website B I am having an issue. Anonymous visitors are tracked successfully. I have added a mautic form to the site so that anonymous traffic can be identified. When the form is completed, I can see the form completion in the known visitor history. I can see the correct IP address from the anonymous visitor showing as the IP address of the now known visitor. But the ongoing site visits are not showing in the known visitor history. The anonymous visitor with the same IP address as the known visitor is still existing and collecting all the website page visits data. The anonymous visitor should no longer exist as it should have been converted to the now known visitor once the mautic form is completed.

These errors are showing in the log: None

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:
Made sure the CORS policy is correct for both sites.
Looked at the browser console for errors (there are none)
Made sure the mautic tracking pixel is present on the site B
I am testing in an incognito browser

all I can say is I feel your pain Rob.
I know we have had this problem with a number of clients, I will check internally to see if and how it was resolved.

1 Like

Hey @robm did you ever figure this one out.

This is a repeating issue in Mautic and I think once we figure out what the main issues are we need to document it, I will even write it up for the Mautic Documentation. I have seen so many posts on this and written so many of my own.

Also we have written another post on this (@rcheesley - maybe worth merging them [Anonymous Contact to Known User After Form Submit. Chrome/Safari don't work, Firefox works?]) and again here we are seeing that Chrome and Safari are not converting users to known users, however Firefox does

Can someone try and help with troubleshooting this and what the steps are to begin troubleshooting :slight_smile:

1. I have checked both /var/logs/*
  2. I have checked web server logs /nginx/mautic.error mautic.access logs
  3. I have looked in the console logs
  4. Verified CORS is enabled

Any other thoughts ?

You can easily check this:

You have 2 sites:
a.com and b.com
You have mautic here:
m.a.com

On a.com you would deploy the tracking with the js content of: m.a.com/mtc.js
On b.com you would deploy also m.a.com/mtc.js. This means you have a cross domain tracking, which would not be acceptable for Google Chrome and Safari, they wouldn’t let a script from m.a.com to access b.com.

Would CNAME m.b.com = m.a.com help the situation and calling m.b.com/jtc.js as tracking script?

No. Because the mtc.js file from m.a.com CNAMED as m.b.com would still contain links of m.a.com.

The solution is to create a mirror of that m.a.com/mtc.js on b.com/mtc.js where all the links in the file referring to m.a.com are replaced with m.b.com.

Joey

1 Like

Thanks @joeyk

That is a great explanation of why it’s not working. Thanks, appreciated.

I am not sure how to implement your recommended solution of a mirror for the mtc.js

@mikew is this something that you can do?

I have a use case need for this where I have a client, who for legacy reason, has multiple domains and sites all selling the same thing. I want to monitor and manage them all from a single mautic.