Difference between email batch size vs. email queue?

How do email batches and queues interact in Mautic? What’s the difference between an email batch and the queue itself, assuming queue processing is turned on? Does one of these values have to be greater than, or less than, the other for things to work smoothly?

I don’t understand how the batches and queue work together, nor if it matters if one of the variables’ values is greater than the other. For example, my email queue is setup to process 12 emails at a time through Amazon SES. I’ve played with batch sizes as large as 100 emails, and as little as 10 emails at a time.

My contacts sometimes receive duplicate, or even triplicate emails up to a half hour apart. The only thing I can think of is that there’s some issue with my setup of the batch size, queue size, and frequency of the email:process cron job.

On a related note, my Amazon SES account allows me to send up to 14 emails/sec. I’ve always wondered what would happen if I set my emails to process “immediately” – if that would overload the 14 emails/sec and cause a number of those messages to simply never make it through, never get sent, and never be delivered as a result – or if SES would queue them in their system and then send them out when the send limit rate quota opens up again in the subsequent seconds.

I want to make sure I have a proper understanding of the interaction between email batches, queues, and the cron processing of them – and perhaps more importantly, get to the bottom of why some of my contacts are being sent multiple emails. This is a really bad situation that can likely lead to being marked as spam if not properly understood, debugged, and resolved.

Please let me know asap, thanks!

How do email batches and queues interact in Mautic? What’s the difference between an email batch and the queue itself, assuming queue processing is turned on? Does one of these values have to be greater than, or less than, the other for things to work smoothly?

I don’t understand how the batches and queue work together, nor if it matters if one of the variables’ values is greater than the other. For example, my email queue is setup to process 12 emails at a time through Amazon SES. I’ve played with batch sizes as large as 100 emails, and as little as 10 emails at a time.

My contacts sometimes receive duplicate, or even triplicate emails up to a half hour apart. The only thing I can think of is that there’s some issue with my setup of the batch size, queue size, and frequency of the email:process cron job.

On a related note, my Amazon SES account allows me to send up to 14 emails/sec. I’ve always wondered what would happen if I set my emails to process “immediately” – if that would overload the 14 emails/sec and cause a number of those messages to simply never make it through, never get sent, and never be delivered as a result – or if SES would queue them in their system and then send them out when the send limit rate quota opens up again in the subsequent seconds.

I want to make sure I have a proper understanding of the interaction between email batches, queues, and the cron processing of them – and perhaps more importantly, get to the bottom of why some of my contacts are being sent multiple emails. This is a really bad situation that can likely lead to being marked as spam if not properly understood, debugged, and resolved.

Please let me know asap, thanks!

Bump

Bump again

wanna know about this too

I want to know this too!

I think that queued emails are not the same as batched emails. I have sent emails using in batches, while having ‘send immediately’ turned on in email configuration.

However, I recently had a problem sending a segment email - when I tried to send in batches of 100 - nothing sent; when I reduced the batch size to 10, it worked. It took about 90 minutes to send 1200 emails. I don’t know why there was a problem, or whether it was Mautic, my host, or Amazon SES.

Re. your contacts getting multiple emails: did you close the browser window that showed the ‘sending emails’ bar? I think if you close this while sending, Mautic cancels sending, and if you try to finish sending the emails later, it will start to send to the whole list.

But I’m not sure! I’m still trying to understand how Mautic works as well, and the documentation is unclear. Your questions are what I want to know as well. I hope we can get an answer.

Would like to know this one too …