DNC & Transactional Emails

I think @joeyk has already made a video about this in the past, however I was not able to find it.

If a user is marked as DNC will they still receive transactional emails ?

Hi,
No, only direct email and form action email will ignore DNC.

Here is the full video:

1 Like

Thank for reposting this @joeyk

I wonder if this is something that should be considered for a feature or an option to enable.

Inherently transactional emails are or could be considered ‘system crytical’ like password reset and if someone has flagged themselves as DNC, and then does such a request, they will never get that email.

I can work around this with campaigns by removing the DNC, sending out the email, then reading to DNC.

What do you think

Hi,

It is an importatn feature, that would create a balance in Force.
And also the way we handle transactional vs marketing emails.

There is a PR to be merged in 4.1, that might address this issue:

1 Like

Please also see:

1 Like

Thank you for this link @rcheesley . Does it mean, that this PR won’t be merged until the project is not closed? Is the next step to start the discussion?

I think we need to decide if we want to apply a sticking plaster, or fix the underlying issue.

My preference would be to fix the underlying problem, personally, but if folks wanted to use the PR above as a workaround if it’s an urgent problem for them and can’t wait for the work next year, they could do that.

The discussion should happen in the PR really, and a product decision made as to which direction we want to take and whether this solution would be required if we go down separating out the transactional/operational and marketing emails.

I just tested this which worked well: Transactional emails in campaigns ignore the DNC setting by volha-pivavarchyk · Pull Request #11786 · mautic/mautic · GitHub

However for transactional emails that are coming from the API with /email/EMAIL_ID/contact/[ID]/send these will still not be sent :frowning:

@mikew Thanks for testing! This is a good addition. We look into it.

Also, as reference, this was found on Github:

And this is on the forums:

Only tangentially related, but could be added to the development:

And this could be the solution?

Or maybe it is the perfect time for the entire mailing system to be reconsidered?

As is written in the last link by @escopecz it would be great to have an overall remaking of emails and how they should work in a proper marketing system, taking into account bulk email, transactional email, direct email & api email to both transact & marketing.

For the moment the second last link to the plugin mautic-custom-email-settings has solved a major problem for us and we are using it in production. It is dangerous especially when users go and clone mailers carrying over the original mailer headers… but still a good solution!

1 Like

I think now could be a good time for considering a complete refactoring of Mautic’s email sending.

Here’s what I am roposing on Github:

Right about now, some changes need to ocur in the Mautic delivery system because of deprecations and M5 requirements changing.
We could use this opportunity to improve Mautic’s email delivery, both technically and functionally, among other things, by discussing the requirements with the community and even more specifically with who sends the freaking emails, the marketers!

I understand would be harder and would take extra time, but it is not like we have a deadline for M5… or do we?

Please check the conversation on Github: