Email Configuration

Hello,

I’m self hosting Mautic and I’ve successfully integrated MailChimp into the software. I’m unsure what to put in the Mail Settings section. SMTP, GMail…? What would be the best settings for this? Thanks.

Hello,

I’m self hosting Mautic and I’ve successfully integrated MailChimp into the software. I’m unsure what to put in the Mail Settings section. SMTP, GMail…? What would be the best settings for this? Thanks.

Depends on how you want to send mail. I personally like to use Mandrill because its very cheap (free mostly for certain usages) and gives the most data about your mail campaigns.

If you don’t want to pay for a mail service, configuring your server to run mail via SMTP is the cheapest option. You’ll have to ask your hosting company what mail settings to use (smtp host, username, and password should be all you need)

Thanks for the info Chad. I’m just trying to understand the difference between using MailChimp for sending out emails to leads as opposed to using the standard email that’s built into Mautic. Is there any documentation that explains the difference?

Hi:

I don’t think there’s really any documentation that explains it (yet!).

Basically:

• Mautic has a major feature for sending email marketing campaigns
  • Mailchimp is a email marketing service as well

They are essentially “the same” (although Mautic does a lot more with marketing automation!)

The integration allows the sharing of leads between Mautic and Mailchimp, if you prefer to use Mailchimp for sending emails instead of Mautic.

Ideally you wouldn’t really use both services to do emails, you would use one or the other.

Great. Is there anything that I need to do to the regular mail settings if I’m going to use MailChimp exclusively? In the setting it asks “Name to send mail as” and “E-mail address to send mail from” and it’s required fields. What should I put in these fields?

I would just enter in faux data there then, they values will not be used as thats all handled by Mailchimp.

What’s faux data?

PS: Please note that any features like “send email when form is submitted” will NOT use mailchimp.

Those things will still use Mautic and the mail settings there. Sorry that might be a little unclear.