Feature request: "Do not track"

Hi Folks,

What do you think about this one:

I plan to use Mautic not just as Marketing Automatic and Analytics Tool, but also place to send important system announcements to my active customer segment. While I let prospects decide, if they want to opt-in my automation or not I want to give active customers the option if I track them or not. I still want to send them important mails that are related to e.g. planned maintenances. This is agreed with our terms of services. Another requirement is then still also to override “Do not contact” for system mails.

To summarize:

1.) I have propects, agreeing that I may user their personal data for marketing automation. They can opt out of newsletters (“Do not contact”). If they ask me to get their data deleted, I will delete their record in Mautic.

2.) I have active customers. They either opted into my Marketing Automation or not. I don’t want to require them to opt-in - just to send them important system mails. I would then tag them with “Do not track” - no need to request their opt-in. If I have an active customer, who joined a newsletter and decided to leave, I would need to be able to override “Do not contact” for sending out those system mails.

Does it make sense?

Hi Folks,
What do you think about this one:

I plan to use Mautic not just as Marketing Automatic and Analytics Tool, but also place to send important system announcements to my active customer segment. While I let prospects decide, if they want to opt-in my automation or not I want to give active customers the option if I track them or not. I still want to send them important mails that are related to e.g. planned maintenances. This is agreed with our terms of services. Another requirement is then still also to override “Do not contact” for system mails.

To summarize:
1.) I have propects, agreeing that I may user their personal data for marketing automation. They can opt out of newsletters (“Do not contact”). If they ask me to get their data deleted, I will delete their record in Mautic.
2.) I have active customers. They either opted into my Marketing Automation or not. I don’t want to require them to opt-in - just to send them important system mails. I would then tag them with “Do not track” - no need to request their opt-in. If I have an active customer, who joined a newsletter and decided to leave, I would need to be able to override “Do not contact” for sending out those system mails.

Does it make sense?

Not sure if I get your point. Is that an idea for a feature request for Mautic? Or is it an idea of how to configure your own segments?

As far as I understand, opt-in and tracking are different topics from the legal point of view (but I am happy to learn more about it):

1. Legal Requirement is usually a double opt-in for advertisment emails. There is no legal double opt-in requirement for system status emails to your customers - you only need to mention these in your terms and conditions.
  2. Tracking in Mautic, as far as I understand at the moment, has several levels: Email read, Link clicked, Landing page entered, Form filled. All this tracking as far as I know requires no active agreement of the user if done without cookies, also here, you just have to mention it in your terms and conditions. If done with cookies, you need to add the cookie consent to your site

So from that my conclusion is: Just put your leads, subscribers (leads and customers) and customers in different segments and send them the respective emails. Did I miss something?

Hi @PLIDS … somehow I missed your response. Indeed: “Do not track” is something else than “Do not contact”.
Not just for newsletter we need an Opt-in. Even more for tracking behaviour of customers.

Usually we will get new contacts through a Mautic formular with an opt-in for using customer data including behaviour tracking on our website. However - when I add a user through the backend, the customer may not yet have opted in. However, I would still be able to use Mautic to send my emails.

This would conflict with tracking being enabled by default - as you mentioned:

• through email opening,
  • through visiting landing pages,
  • by clicking links.

What would be needed for a “not yet opted in” identified customer with “do not track” tag:

• don’t record the email opening for that “do not track” customer - or record the e-mail opening anonymously, but do not link it to the specific “do not track” customer history,
  • send standard links without unique ID - or record the hit anonymously, but do not link it to the specific “do not track” customer history,
  • record the visit to a landing page anonymously - but don’t link it with the “do not track” customer history

So - at least for Germany and EU countries, also tracking seems to require “opt-in” for tracking. With some technologies (unique links) you would still record usage data by person, even without cookie.

Did I explain it a bit better now?