GDPR Compliant Double Opt-In

Has anyone succesfully created a GDPR compliant double opt-in campaign?

I have tried several ways and none seem to work appropriately or easily.

I need to be able for a contact to select wether they opt-in or out, and the date that they have done this. From that, this needs to update custom fields that specify wether they have opted in or out and the date. If they have not completed either action then an email reminder needs to be sent.

Preticked tick boxes are not allowed, therefore default values on dropdowns are not either.

Updating the date field seems to be the part that is proving difficult.

Thanks!

Has anyone succesfully created a GDPR compliant double opt-in campaign?
I have tried several ways and none seem to work appropriately or easily.
I need to be able for a contact to select wether they opt-in or out, and the date that they have done this. From that, this needs to update custom fields that specify wether they have opted in or out and the date. If they have not completed either action then an email reminder needs to be sent.
Preticked tick boxes are not allowed, therefore default values on dropdowns are not either.
Updating the date field seems to be the part that is proving difficult.
Thanks!

@eouterbridge ,
Give us who aren’t in the eu a fighting chance here by giving the 30 second version of GDPR complaince :slight_smile:

Does it go:

1. User fills in details on landing page
  2. you send an initial email that then directs the user to opt in to further communications (including date they’ve done so)
  3. If the user doesn’t do this after days, you send a reminder directing them to fill in the same details as 2 above.
  4. If they don’t fill in the details, you assume they are opted out.

or something else?

cheers
Jo

@JoPitts
Pretty close!

1. We have the contacts email address (or other data).
  2. We send email with a link to landing page, with form that asks for email address, name etc. At this point they need to select opt-in or opt-out. It has to be a conscious decision so either selected from a drop down or a tick box. Default options are not allowed.
  3. Custom fields in Mautic need to update their contact profile with their choice and the date they made their choice.
  4. If the form is not filled in a reminder needs to be sent one week later.
  5. Data can only be held for a year, so another email will need to be sent 11 months later, asking them for permission again, so this needs to be dependant on that date field.

Its the Date field that I can’t seem to get to work how I want.

Thanks
Emma

My question: Where does the email address come from?

As far as I understood, a double opt-in (1. click checkbox to agree to terms and document the will to signup and 2. email with confirmation link) is GDPR compliant. The point is, how can the process steps be recorded in the contact details. Actions and their timing have to be recorded. So far, so good. But how can you prove that the contact did the actions and not an administrator with access to the database? The line of argument will be very weak. If a contact files a complaint there and the contact insists that he did not register, it gets complicated.

Besides this, everything in Mautic is there to implement a transparent DOI process. You will need some hacks - URL parameters, hidden form fields or database triggers - but it will work.

@PeterTL
Email addresses right now can be any existing contacts etc, until May 25th 2018.
So i’ve set up a custom date field called Opt-In Date.
I’ve tried to put this in a form as a hidden field with autofill but it doesn’t seem to work, it doesn’t change in the contact record at all.
It is updating this date field that seems to be tricky. If I put it in the form for the contact to fill in, there is always the risk that they select a date in the past.

@eouterbridge ,
out of interest, have you tried not making the field hidden, just to see if that makes things work?

I realise having it visible isn’t desirable, but as a step in debugging the issue, it might be worth experimenting with.

@JoPitts
I have tried making the date field hidden but then it doesn’t update or register any submission to that field.

@eouterbridge, so if the field IS visible, the autofill works. If it ISN’T visible, then the autofill doesn’t work?

How are you hiding the field?

@JoPitts The date field doesn’t respond to autofill at all.

@eouterbridge - Sorry been away for a bit. That is awfully odd isn’t it.
A quick test gets me the same result. ‘Today’ (sans quotes) doesn’t work., nor does a nice innocuous hard coded reference like ‘06/06/2016’.

I think this needs to be surfaced as a separate question.

Cheers

Hello all, any news on this subject?

We have only 115 days left!!! :slight_smile:

http://gdprcountdownclock.com/