How do bounces work in this scenario?

Hello,
Im having trouble understanding how bounce management works when you have multiple users on a mautic system with mailer as owner enabled?

We have a collection of sales people that we want to use Mautic as a contact manager, and to send out cold emails. We’ve tested this with a single admin account using the system user defined in the Mautic config. It works great.

But when I switch this to more than one user, the emails will be being sent using many different email addresses of users on the system (mailer as owner). Where do the bounces to these emails go?

Same thing goes for replies? Where do the replies go so that Mautic can monitor for them?

I think they must go to the user that sent the message, but then how do we configure mautic to monitor the inbox of each of those users for those messages?

Your software
My Mautic version is: 5.0.3
My PHP version is: 8.1
My Database type and version is: Mysql

Your problem
My problem is: bounce setup

Configuration > Email Settings > Custom return path (bounce) address.

For the second problem I think you are going to need to get the mail server to forward a copy of each of the configured addresses to a single monitored inbox. Most mail servers should be able to do it.

1 Like

loki,

Thanks for the great answer. I just setup and tried what you explained, but ran smack into another issue.

I tried to setup a channel eamil, and send a test as a specific mail owner user. The mail wont send because the user isnt authenticating to send.

The mail server on our system requires the user to authenticate to send email. Mautic can login with the default config, but how do I set the login paramaters on a per user basis?

An example is:
mautic@example.com (sends fine and can login, also now a bounce address and reply catcher)
user1@example.com (can receive mail, but cant send without fully authenticating with its email address and password)

So if I send a test message as the mautic user it works, but if I send it as user1 it fails because mautic cant authenticate as user1@example.com

Is there a way to set the smtp authentication info on a per user basis?

Not that I know of (I’m new here but have spent a couple of weeks getting familiar with the software so I could be wrong).

My mail server allows the “from” field to be set to whatever I want, the one main sending account is used no matter the “from name” and “from address” I use, if your’s doesn’t (and you can’t change the server settings) have you tried using the main details in the “from address” and changing just the “from name” and “reply to” address to what you wan’t? It’s a compromise but it might work with your mail server setup.

1 Like

Ah, just thought, as you’re using “owner as mailer” you may not have the option to set the “reply to” address. I haven’t used that setting before.

1 Like

Hey Loki,
So I came up with a solution that I will share for you and others. IMHO the way to go about mailer as owner is backwards, and can be definitely done better but this ended up being a working solution (in my case).

1. I had to change the postfix configuration on our server to relay mail from any source on 127.0.0.1. By default on our systems, this is disabled and all users have to authenticate to send mail.

2. I set the global mailer as owner in the configuration. I then used your suggestion to configure the local “mailer as owner” mailboxes to forward the mail to the monitored inbox.

3. I found, through testing, that setting mailer as owner globally doesnt seem to force the settings onto campaign emails. I had to enable mailer as owner on a per email template basis, and PER VARIANT basis for it to send mail truly as the contact owner.

Now when I send the mail comes from the contact owner, replies go to the contact owner, and are forwarded to and processed by mautic.

My suggestion for mautic development (please share your opinion), is that email configurations should be setup to be available on a PER USER basis. Allow each user to have its own mailbox and monitoring settings, separate from the primary email configuration. This would solve both the authentication and monitoring issues, in a much more simpler way to understand that will be more compatible with shared servers.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing, glad you got it working.