How would you do it: Managing customer life cycles

What are your thoughts about this:

I would love to manage leads through their complete life cycle: from prospect to potentially ex-customer. I think this could be done through lists. However - leads might decide to opt out of one newsletter and may get back later to subscribe to another. As I understand, currently I could move them from list to list, but whenever they opt-out, I would move them to a list named “unsubscribed”.

However - I would then loose the current phase in the life cycle. I could also add the user to “unsubscribed” as a second list, but I don’t think I could select customers for a mailing based on a logical combination of two lists - e.g. sending email to “trial customers” who are not member of “unsubscribed” at the same time?

Having two lists per life cycle step as alternative seems a bit over-engineered for me?

Probably there is a much easier solution I missed? Or should I rather combine mautic with a CRM?

What are your thoughts about this:

I would love to manage leads through their complete life cycle: from prospect to potentially ex-customer. I think this could be done through lists. However - leads might decide to opt out of one newsletter and may get back later to subscribe to another. As I understand, currently I could move them from list to list, but whenever they opt-out, I would move them to a list named “unsubscribed”.

However - I would then loose the current phase in the life cycle. I could also add the user to “unsubscribed” as a second list, but I don’t think I could select customers for a mailing based on a logical combination of two lists - e.g. sending email to “trial customers” who are not member of “unsubscribed” at the same time?

Having two lists per life cycle step as alternative seems a bit over-engineered for me?

Probably there is a much easier solution I missed? Or should I rather combine mautic with a CRM?