Ideal server setup for multiple instances with V4.4+

What is the ideal setup (Control Panel / Linux OS) for v4.4 moving forward?

We have a Cyberpanel instance which was running happily prior to the forced changes to composer, and it has completely played havoc with ~15 instances we have running on the server for clients.

Looking at migrating this over to a new setup and keen to get an understanding of the best setup these days for Mautic as we move into v5 and beyond so the setup is future proofed.

Starting with Managed databases I had figured I would move to managed databases with DigitalOcean but has caused me significantly more headaches with compatibility than it has saved me in stability.
What do ppl use for database management?

Control Panel - currently we are using Cyberpanel with Litespeed enterprise but with ~ 4.4 it has thrown all my plugins I use and upgrading methodology out of the window with console and other related compatibility issues.

Keen to get suggestions of an open source control panel which is ideally setup out of the box for Mautic environments for safe upgrades of both Mautic and the CP instance.

Any other suggestions to help reduce system maintenance for multiple instances your insights would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Dwayne

I was very disappointed with GUI tools, so learned LXC instead.
We are using LXD containers with Haproxy as load balancer. It requires some custom scripts for backups, and basic linux command line knowledge. You need to forget the grafical interface. But somehow everything just works. Snapshots are one command and you can go back any time.

1 Like

I am using cPanel however I did had to do some edit in composer.json file to make it work in cPanel directory structure.

So far, it’s been behaving good.

1 Like

Hi Dwayne. What did you end up doing about this? I’m wanting to move a few Wordpress sites into one VPS which also has my Mautic install and was considering Cyberpanel (as it seems to support installing Mautic (and my Wordpress sites) into Docker containers. I’m not sure what they’re using “under the hood” but your post got me worried – as if it’s not easy to update and work with, then it wouldn’t be suitable.

Is this the conclusion you came to? That Cyberpanel isn’t the answer? (Sure seems nice to use to manage multiple sites and SAAS (like Mautic) witin one VPS server without too much technical knowledge needed.)

I also want to future-proof things going into Mautic 5, etc…

Changed things up a bit
moved my DB to scalegrid

And more broadly although cyberpanel was nice but had horrific upgrade processes, I have moved everything over to cloudpanel these days - has its own complications as I move over to NGINX from apache but rather smooth once operational.

Gave up on my Kubernetes instance, mautic is not possible to run in these kind of environments - over invested in it.

Might circle back to replace scalegrid with vitess / planetscale in due course

What defined the upgrade processes as horrific? Meaning upgrading Mautic within the Cyberpanel environment wasn’t straightforward when it comes to running Unix commands and such? Or was it the Cyberpanel upgrades itself that caused issues?

Really tempted to use it as many VPS hosts support it with a one-click install, and even Mautic seems to be promoting their relationship with Cyberpanel. Cyberpanel is also produced by a LiteSpeed developer (LiteSpeed being great for speeding things up as a cache at server level for speedy Wordpress sites which I’m also keen to host in the same server as Mautic via Cyberpanel.)

But, they do seem, from what I’ve read, not to have as good quality control systems in place compared to other panel providers. They just have all the features I’m looking for so I’m tempted….

Have you looked at Runcloud?

The reason I’m looking at panels is because I’d like to run one server with multiple Wordpress sites and one instance of Mautic (that has separate databases for each website) within the same server; and my technical skills at this point don’t allow it without some some easy to follow instructions or panel to facilitate it.