Installing on Hostinger Shared Hosting

Your software
My Mautic version is: 4.4
My PHP version is: 8.1
My Database type and version is: 10.6.15-MariaDB-cll-lve

Your problem
My problem is: I am unable to upgrade to 5.0 via composer when following steps on How to switch to Composer — Mautic Documentation 0.1 documentation

These errors are showing in the log:
npm command not found

Steps I have tried to fix the problem: Contacted Hostinger support, they say npm is not supported on their cloud (shared / managed) platform.

Hi,
plz don’t use shared hosting.
Installing NPM:

This doc probably won’t entirely help you out with this issue, but help you to start a journey of understanding how to install new software on your VPS and how to maintain them.

1 Like

Hi,

I have been using Mautic since v1. For your hosting, I would recommend using a hosting provider that uses Softaculous. This is because it makes the installation for Mautic super easy and intuitive. See here: Softaculous

I would suggest A2 Hosting. I think they have a guide on how to install Mautic specifically.

Unless you are tech-savvy, I would suggest against using a VPS because there is no support should you run into any issues (you probably will).

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi, plz dont use softaculus, cause you will have serious issues with Mautic 5.

1 Like

This thread should be updated How To Install Mautic on a Shared Host - #15

Also, are we saying shared hosting is no longer supported?

Hi there!

It has been recommended since Mautic 2 that shared hosting is not used.

I’m not sure how much clearer we can be - we have it written here:

Also here below the download form:

Perhaps we should also add it to the documentation here: Installation — Mautic Documentation 0.1 documentation

So the answer is: While it might be technically possible to install and run Mautic on shared hosting, it’s strongly advised not to. There are many reasons for this, the biggest being that when you get more than a few hundred contacts and you start using Mautic actively, you’re more than likely going to hit up against some issues with resources which are always restricted to some degree on shared hosting and over which you have no control. Also you need to be able to have command-line access which many shared hosts don’t permit, and as you scale you’ll likely need to make infrastructure changes which definitely won’t be possible in shared hosting.

So, if you use shared hosting, the community are not likely to be willing or able to support you with any issues that arise because in our experience, more often than not, the issues that arise are mostly due to the limitations of your hosting environment.

What issues?

As far that my understanding go, Softaculous is simply a provisioning script written in PHP.

And who ever wrote the “requirements” warning seems strongly biased.

Regardless if you take a bare-metal or a virtual environment, an environment which doesn’t meet the minimum requirements of an app won’t allow the app to function properly.

All the Mautic that I’m managing are hosted in cPanel environments.

In the OP case, he only needs to perform the update from a dev environment, test and then push it live.

At the end of the day, Mautic is just some PHP scripts with a MySQL DB. Not much different from what a PHP script hosted on a LAMP stack was 20yrs+ ago.

Its put as a “recommendation” and not a “requirement” thus, in theory it should work on a shared server.

The situation I have is that I have now purchased that shared hosting solution and have to buy another option which is crazy expensive.

I’m hoping there is a alternative documentation somewhere that lets me still use shared hosting otherwise the costs also go higher for smaller operations.

Not to mention the technical skills requirement for users.

Most shared hosting buyers that I know of are people who don’t want (and care) about managing a server. Which is perfectly fine.

Best thing is always to ask about the service before buying.

In your case, as I was suggesting, why not updating it locally (or at a service provider that would sell you a 1 month service) and push it back at your current service provider?

It’s an extra 30~60min, agreed. But at least you’ll get it done.

Hello, couple of comments:

Mautic can be used 1000 ways. While in some cases you are totally fine with a shared server (Dentist sending out appointments and managing aftercare for clients), but sometimes you a server you need to be able to tweak and set up properly (Marketing agency sends out 1M email / week).

The recommendation is NOT a shared server, because by using a shared server you have no access to certain resources and settings.

In many cases you won’t be able to use composer (depends on shared server) which is needed for properly adding email trasnports allowing you to send emails via Amazon SES for example.

The dentist wouldn’t worry about this, but a marketing agency would.

The situation I have is that I have now purchased that shared hosting solution and have to buy another option which is crazy expensive.

You can get a a VPS for $20 and you can have Mautic it installed for $50.

What crazy money are we talking about?

Not to mention the technical skills requirement for users.

You will need technical skills for Mautic if you self host. You need to know how to self host. If you buy a car, you’ll need to bring it to the garage from time to time.

I understand there are different levels of self hosting, some software just works, but Mautic gives you so much freedom, and you’ll need to be able to make use of it. You can only do this if you have some knowledge and patience how to do it.

I think most shared buyers want to save money. So they go for the cheapest option possible, and are disappoined why Mautic only refreshes the segments every 15 minutes, or why 10k emails takes 1 hour to be sent.

PS:
(You can also have Mautic installed for $10, and +$100 for fixing the mistakes later)

It looks like you’re encountering issues upgrading your Mautic version to 5.0 via Composer due to the npm command not being found. Since your hosting provider, Hostinger, doesn’t support npm on their cloud platform, you’ll need to find an alternative solution to complete the upgrade.

One potential workaround could be to try running the Composer commands on your local development environment or on a server that supports npm. Alternatively, you may need to explore manual upgrade options provided by Mautic’s documentation or seek further assistance from Mautic’s community forums or support channels.

If you need further guidance or assistance with finding an alternative solution, feel free to ask for more help!