Large Email List, Best Practices

Has anyone with a larger email list (10k & up) figured out the best methods to send out a blast email? Are you using php mail, another SMTP server, SES or ??? Are you sending immediately, queue? How many at a time?

I have been trying to send through our dedicated email server, sending immediately, and tried all kinds of values in the how many at a time, but I can only get about 3,000 emails to actually send to my list of 28,000. Needless to say I am not satisfied with that.

Any thoughts or details on your setup would be appreciated. Even what doesn’t work any better than what I have described would be helpful so we know not to go down that road.

Has anyone with a larger email list (10k & up) figured out the best methods to send out a blast email? Are you using php mail, another SMTP server, SES or ??? Are you sending immediately, queue? How many at a time?

I have been trying to send through our dedicated email server, sending immediately, and tried all kinds of values in the how many at a time, but I can only get about 3,000 emails to actually send to my list of 28,000. Needless to say I am not satisfied with that.

Any thoughts or details on your setup would be appreciated. Even what doesn’t work any better than what I have described would be helpful so we know not to go down that road.

What’s your hosting environment? Shared or VPS/Dedicated?

vps/dedicated - separate web servers, mail server, db server. Stout systems with plenty of horsepower and ram.

As you get into larger list sizes and the volume of your transactional email sends increases you will more than likely want to begin to explore the option of using a third-party high volume transactional provider. Some options would include Mandrill, Sendgrid, or Amazon SES. You can of course do large list sends on your own server but you will run the increased risk of getting your server IP blocked, blacklisted, or potentially damage your “reputation”. The process of maintaining a white-listed email server is detailed and brings with it an enormous number of potential headaches. :slight_smile: But you can absolutely do it if you choose to.

Hope this helps!

@dbhurley I have a white listed server, we have been sending 50k emails a week for years, the issue here I am looking for answers to is that Mautic itself is really slow to send email, locks up and doesn’t complete sending. I like a lot of what Mautic is doing, but this email thing is crippling. I am trying to figure out if any body using Mautic has any “secret” sauce to make email perform better, as in actually complete a large send, and do it within 2-3 hours instead of 2-3 DAYS.