Link click automation

Hi, i’m looking at the campaign builder and under decisions there’s no “link click” instead there’s unreliable “open tracking” which is not really useful because a lot of users read emails without enabling ‘images’ which prevents ‘opens tracking’.

Is there a way to base actions on links clicked by the users?

Hi, i’m looking at the campaign builder and under decisions there’s no “link click” instead there’s unreliable “open tracking” which is not really useful because a lot of users read emails without enabling ‘images’ which prevents ‘opens tracking’.

Is there a way to base actions on links clicked by the users?

There’s the “Visit page” decision which is what you describe.

Linh

@vln104 thanks for your answer. Well maybe the end result could be the same, but the process is not the same. I have to install the tracking script on my site to be able to use the visit page decision while link click works out of the box.

And what if i’m tracking multiple domains under one mautic installation? How will this work?

Hi @marzio ,

Are you using Mautic to build and send emails? If so then when building the email Mautic will add a token to links in your email to know who have clicked on which link. Make sure you add the link by using the “Web View URL” facility instead on typing the URL as text.

Kind regards,

Linh

@vln104 yes, i am using Mautic to build and send emails. I don’t know what “web view URL” facilty is. Could you please show me where is it?

Hi,

When you create a new email, select a theme to launch a builder and you’ll see in the right column a box titled Web View URL. Drag this onto the contents and it will show a box where you can enter a URL and corresponding text. This will insert a trackable URL into the email.

If you are not using themes, I think you can also type a token to tell Mautic to make the link trackable into the HTML source. We will just need to work out what this is so please post back if this is what you are doing. The easier way is to use themes and the email builder though.

Linh

@vln104 i don’t understand why should i use the web view URL if in mautic there’s no “link click” decision. Is there something i’m missing?

May be I am misunderstanding you. I thought you wanted to be able to detect when a lead has clicked a link (presumably sent in an email to the lead) and do some campaign actions based on that event. If that’s what you are trying to do, I think you can achieve it with first using the Web VIew URL thing in email builder so Mautic has a way of telling when a lead has clicked through to a link from an email. Then you can use the Visits a page decision in the campaign builder and connect the desired campaign actions to it. This way those campaign actions will be triggered for leads that have clicked through to links included in the email you sent out.

@vln104 yes, that’s what i’m trying to achieve but isn’t the visited page decision in the campaign builder working without the need to use the web view URL?

My understanding is that when i capture a lead using a web form, Mautic will store the data about that lead in the system and then every page he will visit i can potentially send an email based on that visit.

If that’s correct there’s no need to use the web view URL.

@marzio yes it is correct that Mautic will know when leads have visited Mautic Landing pages without the web view URL. I though you were trying to detect an outside url like www.google.com which is when I think you will need to add www.google.com to emails using the web view url so that Mautic adds some tracking tokens to the link.

@vln104 yes i’m trying to monitor pages of my site.

Can i ask you a question about the lead monitoring? I would like to change a customer tag when he will visit a key page lets say it’s www.mysite.com/download

In the documentation i see there’ an example of that “mtracking.gif?tags=ProductA,-ProductB”

Problem is that i don’t understand how to implement that.

I understand that the mtracking.gif code will be present on every page of my site, how do you put the mtracking.gif?tags=ProductA,-ProductB code on the www.mysite.com/download page if there’s already the mtracking.gif code?

ok cool - hope the campaign thing works for you.

I’ve never used tags before so can’t answer your question - sorry. Probably best post the question in another thread so others may see answer it.

Otherwise you could try changing tags as a campaign condition - that should work too.

Linh

@vln104 what do you mean by “campaign condition”? I’m sorry for the many questions but i’m new here and trying to figure out everything at once :slight_smile:

BTW your help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry I meant campaign action. There is an action on the campaign builder to change tags. You could connect it to the decision node (e.g. Visits a page) to change tags according to the condition

@vln104 I’m trying to track link clicks that go on outside pages, i’m not using any theme. How do i do that?

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I’m using an link inside a CSS button, and Mautic isn’t recognising the link as trackable. The Web View URL option doesn’t seem to be available in my email builder. What options do I have to make this link trackable?

Cheers