Mautic 4.1 | Email Builder - Doesn't save edits, tries to but fails!

Your software
My Mautic version is: 4.1
My PHP version is: Not sure will update this ticket soonest
My Database type and version is: Not sure will update this ticket soonest

Your problem
My problem is: I have decided to reach out to the Mautic forums for assistance in the above regard. I am being told that the server is under spec’d but, I am not convinced that the abovementioned issue is server spec related.

I create a new email, name it, access the builder and delete one image, after which I try and save this change. The saving cycle doesn’t complete and I loose the attempted change. This behaviour is consistent across all available email Themes built into Mautic.

These errors are showing in the log: 2021-10-10 15:00:29] mautic.ERROR: PHP Error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded - in file /home/go4sight/public_html/vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php - at line 631
[2021-10-10 15:00:29] mautic.ERROR: Symfony\Component\Debug\Exception\FatalErrorException: Error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded - in file /home/go4sight/public_html/vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php - at line 631

Steps I have tried to fix the problem: Upgrade the server to Bronze Enterprise at Afrihost

I’d appreciated any assitance in resolving this issue, many thanks!

Hi Charles,

300 secs does not sound plausible even with an underspec’d server.
Nonetheless, please do find out about the PHP version ( /s/sysinfo will help) and, if possible, CPU information)

This behaviour is consistent across all available email Themes built into Mautic.

You are using the new “GrapesJS” email builder, right? i.e. templates like “Paprika”

Best,
Ekke

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Ekke.

Will get the PHP version soonest. :slight_smile:

CPU info - 6vCPUs, RAM 12 GB

Yes I am using “GrapesJS”.

Hello Ekke, the server is running PHP7.4 and @raramuridesign will give you more details too. Thanks!

The sysinfo

@ekke Just an update here.
The issue is on any template which we have on the system.
It affects email only. IE saving the code after some changes in grapejs just takes forever.

Server specs as per the screenshot from @charlesn

When the save command is run, the php process sends the CPU’s through the root, making the server unresponsive, we have to then kill the process.

Can you advise if there is another way to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Please clarify the version you’re using - do you mean 4.0.1? As 4.1 is not yet released :slight_smile:

Did you see any errors in the browser console (developer tools in Chrome) when you save?

To clarify, yes. 4.0.1 :wink: Didn’t look at the developer tools at the time, will take the actions again and have a look and revert. BTW I am using a Chrome browser not IE. @raramuridesign :slight_smile:

Nope no errors were observed @rcheesley, thanks.

Tried again in incognito mode, got these errors. BTW this attempt was on my mobile network all the other attempts were on my FTTH network.

If i let the session to run to failure this is the error:

@charlesn all the basics look perfect, far from underspec’d.

But… Are you saying this happens in IE? Not a supported browser! Did you try anything else?

Oh, I guess

IE saving the code after some changes in grapejs just takes forever.

is not “Internet Explorer” but “i.e. saving the code (…)”
right?
:smiley:

@ekke IE = i.e :wink:

Is there anything else we can provide to assist in getting this sorted out?

Hmmm,
once again, I cannot reproduce. This is supposed to work.
Is there anything in front of the Web Server - like a Varnish or a Web Application Firewall? 504 sounds suspicious!

A few other things:

• When you say it hangs at save, you mean “leaving the builder and then hitting the SAVE button in Mautic”, right ?
  • Does this only occur when you delete an image?
  • Again, what browser is this?

Cheers :wink:

Hello @ekke, this instance of Mautic is a client’s (4Sight Holdings) instance that is hosted in the Afrihost datacentre. 4Sight’s Network Administrator responsible for managing the Afrihost contract has agreed to assist us in troubleshoot the issue together with his contact\s at Afrihost. I am going to invite him to this thread and once he “arrives” he’ll start understanding the issue better and then to take it up with Afrihost, many thanks!

Hello @ekke, I’d like to introduce you to @johan_jacobs, he has kindly agree to get more details and to troubleshoot with Afrihost, thanks @johan_jacobs :slight_smile:

Well @ekke, I decided to do a screen recording today so you can see exactly what is happen, to allow you to understand my issue. And guess what! It all works as expected today. I’ll keep an eye on it and revert should I still have issues. :slight_smile:

@raramuridesign it might have been the clean up you did on the server today for the new website that went live today?

@johan_jacobs it looks like things are okay now, thanks for your willingness to assist!

awesome!!!
Again, keep an eye on the infrastructure if issues should come back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, are you using Cloudflare in your stack? The WAF can mess with Mautic we’ve learned.