Mautic lands in promotions or spam folders, seems to be impossible to tweak, any idea?

Hi, I appreciate you testing it so much. I am also someone who likes to dig deeper into deliverability. It is a topic, that changing fast. As spammers try to avoid being cought, ESPs are setting up better and better protection against them.

I noticed this:

My domain is more than a year old. I am using a subdomain not a root domain to preserve the integrity of the root domain in case for whatever reason my subdomain gets blacklisted.

My experience is, that this is no protection, only Yahoo handles subdomain separately, for Gmail a burned subdomain will destroy your domain as well. I suggest to use a different domain, if you are afraid, that your domain rep might be damaged.

My IP address was warmed up properly in the past.

I’m a little bit confused. If you are using Amazon’s shared IP, it is already pre-warmed, and good to go up to like 5 million / day.
If you are using a rented IP, for what daily amount did you warm up? During warmup did you experience initial resistance from Gmail?

My reputation score is close to a 100%. I have no complaints or bounces thus far and my mautic was set up back on Feb 2020.

How did you measure your reputation, I mean what service? Can you show a screenshot?
What amounts were you sending before this test using this domain?

Also in order to troubleshoot you, please make it clear if your Mautic tracking domain is the same as the sending domain. Until you answer the questions above it is really hard to say anything.

When you test deliverability

When all the above infos are answered, we need to look at the methodology you are using.
Testing 1-100 emails is no deliverability testing. It’s like watching the SW Holiday Special, and deciding, that George Lucas is a bad director. (Don’t mention Jar Jar)

And as I said above you are comparing apples and oranges.

When you are using a mail merge, like the services you compared Mautic with, you are imitating that you are sending a personal message. You can do that for a about 500 emails / day in my experience (Gmail even has cap on your daily send, connect the dots)

When you are sending bulk, you are honestly admitting it, by adding the Bulk tag and recognizing the Mautic fingerprint in the email body, Gmail starts with you cautious (this is why you are in promotions) . But eventually - if your relationship with your recipient is good, than it will move you the inbox. What happens (and I’ll talk about this in the MautiCon - get your tickets now), the tail of your send will be lifted up, and you keep inboxing as you delivery good content.

Merge software is good, when you want to send small amounts, and bulk software is good when you send larger amounts. The inboxing goes like this in both cases:

Actually the drop should be a lot sharper for the red line. It should be around 10% when you hit 2000 emails.

Deliverability is a process, not a snapshot. You should try to test with many many email addresses from different providers. Glockapps actually does this for you (No affiliation). As you said you are using this for a business, you can easily afford it.
You can really good reports, like this:

One word or using another tracking domain can change the outcome of a whole campaign.

About the Mautic templates.

I litmus tested them one by one, and also found, that they won’t display properly in some email readers. I think, once the email builder is changed, we can make some progress there together with the community. You can contribute to the code or the conversation here: New Email builder · Issue #7360 · mautic/mautic · GitHub

Good luck
J

4 Likes