although I love Mautic big time, I simply hate its reporting capabilities.
- reports often produce 500 errors (e.g. “group by” is quite error-prone)
- data are inconsistent/incomplete (although I am sure there are more entries that correspond to given criteria, there are only a few listed in a report’s table)
- there are no fancy graphs etc (well, some managers like to see them)
Of course, these issues I have been facing are not a showstopper and I am still recommending Mautic to everyone without hestitation. But better reporting capabilities would make Mautic even greater.
While waiting for those, I have discovered Metabase which opened a new world to me:
- you can hook it up directly to Mautic’s MySQL database (I have a self-hosted instance)
- it reads the database structures/model, tries to generate friendly table names, …
- you can make questions about your data, visualize Mautic form results, make fancy graphs
- reports can be sent out as “pulses” daily/weekly/… to your email
- making custom dashboard using real-time data from Mautic is simple
I am writing this post for you guys who have self-hosted Mautic instances to give Metabase a try. It helped me a lot and provided me with insights I have not had before.
*disclaimer: I don’t work for Metabase, don’t have any personal interests there, etc… just wanted to help those Mautic users who want better reporting capabilities.