New SMS Plugin with Cool Features

Hello Mauticians

We are very happy to release our new Surge.SMS Gateway to the community today. The service provider is MessageWhiz a company that we have been working with for some time. Great personalized service and competitive pricing compared to Twilio.

So what have we done ?
We created the Surge.SMS Gateway plugin with the following updated Features:

1. Send test SMS!!!
  2. Successfully Send Segment SMS
  3. Live character count while you write your SMS.
  4. SMS within campaigns as usual.

You can download the plugin and get all installation and configuration instructions from the git repository: GitHub - ShareBtech/SurgeSMSBundle

Surge.SMS-Gateway-1-Plugin

Surge.SMS-Gateway-2-Create_Message

Surge.SMS-Gateway-3-Send_SMS

When you signup to MessageWhiz they will give you 5 SMS credits for free for testing using our signup link here.

Hope you all enjoy.

Any questions or comments will be received gladly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

why this error appear and can`t install it wen click install upgrade pluin from dashboard

Hi @4lead - do you have any other instances of the plugin running. From the error message it seems that there was one already installed.

Maybe try and delete your cache manually with rm -rf /var/www/mautic/var/cache/

1 Like

Hi @4lead - just following up here - did you manage to get things working ?

Hi. Trying to install this plugin on a mautic instance, but after following instructions and clicking the ā€œinstall/updateā€ button, it says ā€œ0 installed and 0 updatedā€. Tried multiple different environments to no avail. Any suggestions of what the issue might be?

Hi @theodor

can you let me know what version of Mautic and php you are running on ?

Thanks for the quick response @mikew

After some troubleshooting Iā€™ve found the quite simple issue of the bundle directory being named incorrectly. When grabbing directly from github, the directory is named SurgeSMSBundle, when it should be named SurgeBundle. Renaming the directory to SurgeBundle corrected this issue.

2 Likes

Hi @mikew , I installed the plugin. Now I am waiting for the validation from MessageWhiz. Some questions though:

1. did you test what happens when Twilio-Plugin is on the same time active? Which of the services will be used for sending messages?
  2. on Twilio I had to reserve a phone-number and pay monthly fee. On MessageWhiz saw nothing regarding this. Is it right that I do not have to reserve a phone number on them?
    Thank you for your share !
    Regards,
    Ionut

HI @IonutOjicaDe

1. You need to choose the transport method, this is in settings-> text messages:

I think I may have missed adding that to the documentation. This way messages will be sent out from the transport you choose.

1. On MessageWhizz you do not pay for your number at all, it is just billed on the messages you send and they should give you rates and open routes according to the destinations you want to send you.

Let me know how it goes. Also if you do not hear back from MessageWhiz let me know and I will contact my account manager there, however I think they are pretty good at responding.

1 Like

Hi @mikew , I was asked things by MessageWhizz, that I answered sincerely.
Since 1 of November I did not received any answer any more from MessageWhizz and I do not know what to do further. If you have another way to find this out, I would like to use this service.
Thank you Mike !

Just came across this. Wow. Looks promising.

Question so far:

1. Presumably your plugin will only work with Message Whiz?
  2. Is Message Whiz only SMS?
  3. Not seeing where you set the Default Sender ID in Message Whiz?

Congratulations.

Hi,

Yes this plugin currently works with Message Whiz but we have developed it in a way that we can extend it to other providers on request.

MessageWhiz as far as I know is only SMS

1. In message whiz application or the plugin ?

Hi All,

It would not install for me. Should this work with Mautic 4.4.5?

The reasons I am asking are
Downloaded from github
I then copied the folder to the plugins
Clreared the cache
Regenrated the assets
Clicked the install - and there is a message 0 plugins installed.

I noticed what theodor pointed and fixed the folder name and when through all the stages again with no success.

No code changes made so maybe it is a plugin/mautic version issue?

Ok, found the cause. The cache folder was not clearing. I renamed the cache folder and after that, the plugin was found.

1 Like

Thanks Mikew,

1. Regarding Whatsapp, MessageWhiz does in fact have a solution. Perhaps itā€™s something you want to explore?
  1. Regarding the Default Sender ID, I canā€™t find it on the Message Whiz account page. Iā€™m not seeing where to find it.

Hi Mikew,

Can the plugin be extended for Nigerian SMS provider? If so, how can we reach you to discuss details?

Hi Mike,

I am trying to uncderstand the structure of the plugin as a learning opportunity to maybe write another one.

I came around a typo and maybe missing files / folder.
In file: config/config.php
The line ā€˜pathā€™ => ā€˜/suregsms/{objectAction}/{objectId}ā€™,
refers to a folder suregsms which probably should have been surgesms.
And none of folders suregsms and surgesms exist.
Can you please check if this folder is missing?

<?php

declare(strict_types=1);

return [
    'name'        => 'Surge SMS',
    'description' => 'Surge plugin for SMS Integration',
    'version'     => '1.0.1',
    'author'      => 'Surge.Media',
    'routes'      => [
        'main'   => [
            'mautic_surge_sms_action' => [
                'path'       => '/suregsms/{objectAction}/{objectId}',
                'controller' => 'SurgeBundle:Sms:execute',
            ],
        ],
        'public' => [],
        'api'    => [],
    ],.........................

Edit:
In the third animated image of this post is see that suregsms is part of the url.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello Mike,

We will b needing something similar as this for Mautic Camp Africa as SMS works more better than email.

Is the plugin something we could use with any other providers?

Hello Mike, I followed the instruction but I canā€™t see the plugin in Mautic plugin option?

Any idea? Iā€™m running the latest version of Mautic. Version 5.02, Thanks

One thing in the instruction I donā€™t understand, that could be the issue:

1. Change the ownership to the www owner. (chown -R www-data:www-data *)

Not sure what it means?