Not tracking, double opt-in

Hello,

sorry for my grammar. My english is not so good. I hope you understand it:

i try it for hours to make a campain, that works. But it not works.

I worked at this tutorial. I think i do all right!

https://www.mautic.org/blog/creating-a-double-opt-in-email-campaign/

The users came in the pending list, okay that works. Than the user get the confirmationsmail, it works. They click to the confirmationsite. Works.

But it didn’t tracking it. I use the mautic hosting not selfhosting. I read that the sites of mautic would be tracking. Hm, the lead page for the confirmationsite say, it’s not opened.

Never. I don’t know what i do wrong. Now here story part 2:

I make a, if they mail confirm, delete the user from pendinglist and do the user in the confirmlist. If the user are in the confirmlist, they go to the newslettercampain. I made a new campain for that, and make a email after the user confirmed 1 hour.

But, why that work? It works well. BUUUUTTT it must work in the confirm-list too!

Because it’s a german newsletter and i need to prove that the user confirm in my newsletter. If i havent that, i have really bad problems in the future!

Can you help me, that mautic tracking my user, if they click on the confirmationlink in the confirmationmail to go on the confirmationsite.

I clicked from googlemail from a couple of browsers and from my android mobile phone from googlemail. For your information.

Greetings

Artemis

Hello,

sorry for my grammar. My english is not so good. I hope you understand it:

i try it for hours to make a campain, that works. But it not works.

I worked at this tutorial. I think i do all right!

https://www.mautic.org/blog/creating-a-double-opt-in-email-campaign/

The users came in the pending list, okay that works. Than the user get the confirmationsmail, it works. They click to the confirmationsite. Works.

But it didn’t tracking it. I use the mautic hosting not selfhosting. I read that the sites of mautic would be tracking. Hm, the lead page for the confirmationsite say, it’s not opened.

Never. I don’t know what i do wrong. Now here story part 2:

I make a, if they mail confirm, delete the user from pendinglist and do the user in the confirmlist. If the user are in the confirmlist, they go to the newslettercampain. I made a new campain for that, and make a email after the user confirmed 1 hour.

But, why that work? It works well. BUUUUTTT it must work in the confirm-list too!

Because it’s a german newsletter and i need to prove that the user confirm in my newsletter. If i havent that, i have really bad problems in the future!

Can you help me, that mautic tracking my user, if they click on the confirmationlink in the confirmationmail to go on the confirmationsite.

I clicked from googlemail from a couple of browsers and from my android mobile phone from googlemail. For your information.

Greetings

Artemis

Make sure you are not logged in to Mautic. Mautic doesn’t track logged in admin users. Try to open the link from the email in different browser, incognito tab or log out from Mautic.

@Artemis I believe I’m having the same issue as you. Did you ever find a good solution?

@escopecz Based on the method in the link you provided, can you tell me how the page view is detected in Mautic as being associated with the particular user that initiated the email confirmation? If cookies, it would fail when cookies are disabled. If IP address, it could be fooled by shared IPs or a user signing up on one device and attempting to confirm by another. Or is it something else?

The result is that I have a flow that appears to work to the end-user, but where the actual second opt-in, based on the confirm page pageview, is not always happening. (For some odd reason, perhaps related to the detection method, I’m noticing that email addresses that were imported before the initial form submit of the subscription request do not detect that final confirmation page view properly.)

I believe this could be improved a couple ways:

1. Build in a 2nd opt-in confirmation feature into Mautic. It is fairly standard and even a legal requirement in many countries. Helping with compliance would be a significant value for Mautic. I’m not sure it can actually be implemented otherwise properly at this point without some significant hacking. It ranks as a higher priority for me than say, an unsubscribe form, which appears to have been implemented already (and which can be managed in other ways). One advantage of building this in is that the platform could also generate and include a hash of the URL params and check it against tampering before completing the 2nd opt-in confirmation.

2. Add Mautic Feature for option under Campaign > Decision to choose “Clicks a Link” with the option to choose a link from an email, which is already dynamically generated to match a contact with a page, I believe. This may be a valuable feature in Mautic regardless to add more flow logic, but I can see the UX being tough to manage when the links on any given email can change or be removed.

3. Hack it together for now (more similar to what is described here: https://www.mautic.org/community/index.php/48-double-opt-in-email/0): I created a 1st opt in form that receives the subscriber info, adds the contact to a “pending subscriber” segment, and then sends a “click to confirm” email to the contact. The URL will contain a get param dynamically placed for the contact’s email address (see link above). The URL will go to a custom PHP script that turns a GET param into a POST param and resubmits to a second campaign form on Mautic (method applied from here: https://medium.com/@jan_linhart/the-simplest-way-how-to-submit-a-form-data-to-mautic-1454d3afd005). That second campaign then starts with submissions from that second form, moves the contact from pending to subscriber segment, and removes the contact from both campaigns. (this method doesn’t rely on ip address, cookies, or javascript)