Mautic Community Forums

Notes from meeting on 28th February 2020

0️⃣ Introductions - who you are, how you’re using Mautic and

Ekke Guembel (he/him) I'm Ekke, currently team lead "Community" in Mautic. In my spare time, I am with a digital marketing Agency with a lot of focus on Mautic (both the Martech part and the user part).
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hi folks! I’m Ruth, and I’m the Community Manager. Based in the rather cold and wintry :flag-gb: . Previously ran a digital agency for ~7 years, which focused on Joomla and Mautic :mautibot:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) And a warm welcome to @Slackbot too, we appreciate your tips :wink:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) heehee :smile:
Oluwatobi Owolabi Hello, I am Oluwatobi. Digital Marketing Expert at Teleperformance
Nico Grienauer I'm Nico From Vienna, Since 2005 in the Drupal CMS Area and since 2009 Board Member from Drupal Austria. I help to spread Open Source Software and develop it further. I am Founder of acolono.com a company with 10 Employees specialized in Drupal, Styleguides, Audits/analytics/metrics.also Mautic "Community Lead NR.2" they told me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :slightly_smiling_face:

1️⃣ Review last meeting’s (non-Trello) notes & actions https://forum.mautic.org/t/notes-from-meeting-on-6th-february-2020/12681 (edited)

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Please note that I added a "non-Trello" here, in order to avoid the redundancy with 2️⃣ !

1️⃣ .1️⃣ Meetup.com

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Now that we have this, I'd like to make the best use of it :slightly_smiling_face:Questions: (a) Is there a way to integrate Online meetups here, too? (b) How do we make sure that meetup.com dates go into mautic.org/events, too? Or don't we want that?(c) How do we spread the word? (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) So, a) is tricky. Meetup.com is pretty clear that it has to be physical meetups
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) b) I’ve asked the team building the new mautic.org site to look into the feasibility of integrating with the meetup API for a future phase. It won’t be in the MVP which launches in the next few weeks (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) So at the moment I just cross-post events manually
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ad (a) I think so too
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ad (b) ok, thanks for taking care of that!

1️⃣ .2️⃣ "Contribution starting points" slide deck

Ekke Guembel (he/him) This was an idea from last meeting - shall we turn that into a (backlog) Trello item?

1️⃣ .3️⃣ "Entry barrier" to forum (a bit off-topic, since Forum is t-education)

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Were there any problems after lowering to 10 minutes?Try even lower / other ideas? (Dennis brought up the same issue just this week)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We have reduced it to 10 minutes active reading time, 10 posts read, 25 individual topics read. There has been one spam user register (but made no posts) which I deleted this morning - the second spam user I’ve had to delete since we launched in August. As I manually on-board all users with a welcome message I do check out their profiles because these spammy profiles can slip through
Ekke Guembel (he/him) wow...
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) there’s been a significant reduction in ‘I can’t post in the forum’ messages since I updated the message at the top of the page to be more simple and clear (and with :rotating_light: emojis!)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) :ok_hand:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) do we dare trying 5 minutes / 5 posts?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We also had a community-flagged spammy link posted, which I moderated and deleted
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) (and removed the user, as it was their only post)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) yeah but by a real person, I assume?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) If we take it down more, I really recommend we have more people actively supporting as moderators
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes, a real person, I think
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ok, hard to avoid...
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Reason being, I’m only here for a small number of the 24 hours in each day :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) np - a spammy link here and there, being there for a day or two before deletion, doesn't hurt at all. Only if that motivates people (or machines) for more spam.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yeah, quite. Sometimes these test accounts are a precursor. For example we had a massive increase in bot crawling right before the couple of spammy posts/users
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) screenshot-forum.mautic.org-2020.02.27-11_31_02.png
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Year in review, for context.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) I hate that we have to spend time fighting that crap :disappointed:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Oh, we don’t. Discourse does it for us. But for info, that’s the kind of level of attacks we’re repelling
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) 3 spammy users and 2 posts in all that time is pretty momentous tbh

2️⃣ Review Trello board https://trello.com/b/OOB4fS1p/mautic-community-team

2️⃣ .1️⃣ Ensure all teams have an onboarding person/workflow

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Person - ok, but Workflow?The dev team now marks tasks as "Community contribution needed" and points volunteers to those - wouldn't that make sense for all teams?e.g. for #t-community ?

2️⃣ .2️⃣ Create guidelines for setting up an in-person meetup

Ekke Guembel (he/him) This seems to cover MautiCamps and Online Meetups too - ok to change the Name of the Trello card?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) yes, go for it :slightly_smiling_face: I think it’s more like guidelines for organising official Mautic events
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) then it’s not specific to a type of event?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) exactly.

2️⃣ .3️⃣ Create a meetup support pack for new Mautic Meetups

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Can we re-frame this as "for In-Person Events"? We probably won't want do two different packs at this point.Does a support pack for online meetups make sense?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes, for sure

2️⃣ .4️⃣ Create a community handbook

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) This is ready to go once we decide on the domain name, and test the Auth0 integration.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Let me find the latest thinking on domain name...
Ekke Guembel (he/him) https://mautic.slack.com/archives/CQV40ULMA/p1582118769153300?thread_ts=1582104330.150500&cid=CQV40ULMA-> I guess getinvolved.mautic.org/community-handbook/ would be my favorite among the suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hmmm, what about contribute.mautic.org/community-handbook - might be a bit easier. What would we have at contribute.mautic.org though … or is that a can of worms!
Ekke Guembel (he/him) sure, I'm ok with "contribute" instead of "getinvolved", np!the whole point is that we want to communicate both "community" and "handbook" in the URL, and can't really do that in the subdomain alone.I would think contribute.mautic.org/ goes to contribute.mautic.org/community-handbook directly, and we're free to add other things later.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) OK. I will need to check in with the technical peeps how we organise that at the server/routing level so bear with me
Ekke Guembel (he/him) :+1:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) If anyone knows how to set up Lets Encrypt with Nginx I could do with some help on that front
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I got part way and stumbled on an error, and wasn’t able to find a way forward
Ekke Guembel (he/him) That's related to nginx? ( we use it on Apache all the time...)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) It’s a different process on nginx but the same basics. I need someone to set up letsencrypt on the server and generate certs for the three domains once we get them up and running :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) I'll ask a colleague to contact you :)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) perfect, thanks so much :mautibot:
Nico Grienauer subdomain is a good idea? it will not pay in to the main domain and identified as an own entity by google. (seo)
Nico Grienauer just my 2c on this.

2️⃣ .5️⃣ Organize community council & sprint event in April

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Event is now scheduled and published, Social Media to follow next week by @Ruth Cheesley (she/her)Next steps? (Suggestions for the checklist please : )(a) How many rooms do we have for ourselves? (imho we need a minimum of two - a larger one that can be shared by all Mautic teams, and a smaller one for temporary use e.g. video call)(b) Integration of remote contributors?(c) What information / call to action should go to the team leads?(d) Side question @Ruth Cheesley (she/her): Who is organizing the Council?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) a) I think two rooms. I’ve suggested ~15-20 attendees for the sprint, but the budget is up to a max of 30. We can review if we get more uptake but it would be helpful to have a form to register attendees so we know numbers of people actually attending (maybe with like a nominal £5 fee to register or something to prevent registrations without intent to actually attend?)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) b) I’d love to do this better. Not sure how though. Totally open for ideas/suggestions!
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) c) we need to know what days they want the sprint to be held, what they want to achieve, what they’re going to be working on. An idea of how people can get involved in-person and remotely?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) d) I think the council meeting falls to me to organise, but team leads to decide on agenda, things they want to discuss/decisions to be made.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ad (c)what they want to achieve, what they’re going to be working on. is not really our business, or do you mean "they should think about that ahead of time"?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) they need to be thinking of this (the team leads) so that it is clear to people what each team are going to be focused on and what the ‘deliverables’ from the sprint are going to be
Ekke Guembel (he/him) (e) Registration / fee: Good point!We could try to derive that from the number of hotel bookings - or we could indeed ask people to register up-front.Not sure about the fee, though... Will we have a no-show problem? And will the fee help? On the other hand, would it keep people from coming?My gut feeling is not to do it this time.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) OK. But it would be very helpful to have folk at least register to show intent to attend. I don’t think we can go on hotel bookings. For example I have to book via our corporate travel agent so I won’t show on your list. Some folk might not stay at that hotel, or might commute/travel/have already booked their accom/use Airbnb
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ad (c) agreed, that's indeed important.(I though you were asking them to tell us about their goals, and we had to confirm that they are good ones ; )
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ad (e) Eventbrite? Or Mautic form? :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) serious question: How do we set up the registration?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I don’t mind, community Mautic instance or Eventbrite. Either is fine. If on Eventbrite, please let’s use a community email account (we can use mine if you like) so it’s accessible longer term and for more accounts
Ekke Guembel (he/him) I'd say Eventbrite then. Will you set it up or do you want me to?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) can you set it up with info@mautic.org please
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) you can do it if you have the time :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) K

2️⃣ .6️⃣ Explore options for MautiCon 2020

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Rooms are now booked - just pending one 1hr meeting to be moved to another room on the Thursday.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Status (@Ruth Cheesley (she/her), correct me if I'm wrong): We are now 90% certain that we have the option to hold the event 9/23-9/24 at Acquia HQ (plus 9/22 for Council). See Trello for detailsNow what is the high-level order of next actions / milestones?(a) Await final confirmation that date&location are possible(b) come up with rough outlines, to make sure we all envision the same sort of event (and believe it makes sense)(c) identify / eliminate possible show stoppers (lack of team, ...)(d) Decide for a GO(e) decide and set up booking system(f) Create a simple but nice looking event page with event information and CFP(g) MAKE IT PUBLIC(h) (now the real work begins : )
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ---> Do we think that publishing in April is "good enough"? In that case, many of those things could be tackled in Ghent.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I think tackling this in Ghent is a good option. Personally I’m pretty swamped with the website and sprint stuff, so my attention would be more available by then
Nico Grienauer currently I think for Vienna it will be mre a Drupal Camp in November… Sebtember is no option I think for us, because it is to early… we would need the time for preparing stuff until november…
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Nico Grienauer (he/him) see Trello - the Nov slot was sorted out as an option due to pre-Thanksgiving(and US / Acquia HQ is pretty much settled now because it makes many things so convenient for this first MautiCon. 2021 will probably be in Europe - Vienna sounds great for that!)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes, and hopefully less flu infections next year :neutral_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hoping it’s all blown over by September
Nico Grienauer ok, just added infos from me here, that it would then be no option. np

2️⃣ .7️⃣ TODO: Prepare a campaign to invite people to get involved and inform of future events

2️⃣ .8️⃣ TODO: Creating a PACSI for the community team

3️⃣ Specific Community events

3️⃣ .1️⃣ Lagos

Ekke Guembel (he/him) All going well @Oluwatobi Owolabi? Need help?
Oluwatobi Owolabi VenueYes, we have the Facebook NG_HUB secured for April 25.VolunteersSomeone showed up at a meetup I was during the weekend and volunteered after checking my Facebook profile and saw my share about the meetup there.I have also asked a colleague to join as an assistant, he has accepted but waiting for him to join slack.PublicityWill need to have a design so that we can start publicity on different social platforms.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) will prepare something here: https://www.canva.com/What elements do you need specifically?
Oluwatobi Owolabi Something that can be shared on Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp Status.
Oluwatobi Owolabi @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) what about creating a Facebook event on either the page or group and use the meetup link as a ticket.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Uh, already done @Oluwatobi Owolabi
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) https://www.facebook.com/MauticCommunity/events/
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) and, please take a look in the ‘team’ section for all the images, already shared :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) https://www.canva.com/teams should work
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We have two folders which I’ve created - meetups and social. We have groups which I’ve created but I can’t add folk to them until you sign up :slightly_smiling_face:
Oluwatobi Owolabi Seen. The Facebook event. Thanks.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) (afaik anyway. I’ve not used groups before in a team!)
Oluwatobi Owolabi For the Canva my Mautic email?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I sent the invite to your mautic.org email.
Oluwatobi Owolabi Accessing my email
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) There are templates for all the social media channels which I’ve used for, eg. release announcements. Also one I used to announce FOSDEM. Feel free to use them as a starting point. If you want any guidance on branding of if you’re not sure, please ping before using.
Oluwatobi Owolabi Seen the invite. I will keep in touch on anything not clear
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) :thumbsup: am a little swamped today but ping me if you need any guidance on using Canva. It’s pretty intuitive in my experience. If you create your own, click ‘share’ and allow the team to edit which means everyone else can see/use the visuals.
Oluwatobi Owolabi Cool

3️⃣ .2️⃣ Meetup Barcelona (edited)

Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) do they have a solution? Else, is there anything we can do?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’m not sure what you mean by MautiCamp Barcelona? The Mautic Meetup Barcelona was closed down :disappointed:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) oh yeah, the meetup. sorry

3️⃣ .3️⃣ Contribution week / Community retreat Spain

Ekke Guembel (he/him) @floris can't wait for the details :slightly_smiling_face:

3️⃣ .4️⃣ other events

Ekke Guembel (he/him) @jordan8037310, any progress with L.A.? https://forum.mautic.org/t/los-angeles-ca-los-angeles-mautic-meetup/12635/2
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We’ve got a meetup group! https://www.meetup.com/Mautic-Meetup-Los-Angeles/ (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Also, Mautic Meetup Ipswich has its first meetup scheduled! (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) https://www.meetup.com/Mautic-Meetup-Ipswich-UK/events/268881374/
Ekke Guembel (he/him) :clap::clap::clap:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) We need a good template for those Meetup banners :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) canva.com
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I can invite folk
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I set up a team :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) :+1:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) https://trello.com/c/9UbFoqf4/18-provide-template-for-meetup-banners
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Invited all team leads to Canva team
Jordan Ryan hey guys, thanks for the reminder. We've not started planning an event just yet but i just upgraded my Meetup automation and expanded to Eventbrite. I think i'll set a date and see what kinds of traction we can get :slightly_smiling_face:
Jordan Ryan One thing we need to solve for is acquiring a space first, going to work on that
Ekke Guembel (he/him) :+1::skin-tone-2:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yep, the space can sometimes be the tricky one. Startup incubators, universities, shared office spaces - if you get stuck I can ask around in my devrel/community management groups to see if any folk have spaces that could be used

4️⃣ Any other Business

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) For info, we’re in the final sprint for mautic.org rebuild! We’re bringing in a basic events functionality as we had some spare capacity.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) oh, good!
Ekke Guembel (he/him) What was it again with the recordings - are those available? (sorry :disappointed: )
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) You mean the sprint demos? Yeah let me grab the links!
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) (sorry, I think I hadn’t managed to upload them to Drive, my bad)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ah ok, thanks!
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Downloading the vids now (they were on zoom but I believe that’s restricted to Acquia-only by default, so I have to pull the video and upload to Drive manually

4️⃣ .1️⃣ Places of Discussion (Slack vs. Trello vs. Forum vs. Github)

Ekke Guembel (he/him) I find it hard to pick the right places for starting a discussion, documenting things, ...Things seem either split up and hidden, or redundant and waste.-> @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) could you give a clear definition of what to put where?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Side note: For me, the Trello integration in Slack seems more annoying than anything else. Do others find it valuable? Should we move it to secondary channels (#t-community-trello", maybe?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) And, while we're at it: Sometimes I feel that we have too many channels in Slack...
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Generally I point people at this thread: https://forum.mautic.org/t/using-the-community-forums-with-slack/12011 and the linked post from Discourse: https://blog.discourse.org/2018/04/effectively-using-discourse-together-with-group-chat/
Ekke Guembel (he/him) true, but in our specific part Trello seem to be the trickier part...Not because of those cases where people have to copy info from Trello and post it in Slack, or add Slack content to a Trello cardMore because sometimes there are discussions within Trello that should rather be on Slack (or even half here, half there)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hmm, yes. I guess in that case we have to decide where to have them.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) (and develop that habit!)

4️⃣ .2️⃣ Does anyone have a personal Mautic contact in Japan?

Ekke Guembel (he/him) (I am trying to find an interview partner but never received a response from anyone...)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes, I do via Acquia - they are partners
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) would that be helpful? Or @katzueno, who organises the meetups out there
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Thanks, I'll contact @katzueno first , else I'd love to get back to you.All I really need is a starting point who can (either be on the interview themselves or) point me to a possible interview guest, and maybe does an introduction.

4️⃣ .3️⃣ Team meeting cycle - hours? Live meetings? (edited)

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Now that we are on fortnightly team meetings:(a) what hours do we want?(b) how frequently do we want a live+async meeting?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ad (a) For me personally, 11:00 am UK works fine, but 19:00 UK not so great, it would have to be anything between 8:00 UK and 1600 UKSample Scenarios:always 11:00 UK11:00 and 16:009:00 and 16:00or s/o else to lead the 19:00 meeting and I chime in asynchronously)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ad (b) Do we want Jitsi calls at this point? I wouldn't currently miss them, but that may change once we have more live attendancy.Also, it might make it easier for new volunteers to familiarize with the team.I am thinking about ways to do Jitsi on a "only when wanted" basis, but struggling to fin a good way..."At the beginning of the meeting, we always if someone wants a live call""We have a scheduled rhythm for the live call but routinely ask if everyone is ok with skipping the JitsiWhenever a new person joins #t-community , we ask them to join the next live call and see how they react....?

5️⃣ Ensure that action items are all explicit (ideally: in Trello); review priorities

6️⃣ Date, time and mode of next team meeting

Ekke Guembel (he/him) March 12, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. UK timei.e. in your local time: https://everytimezone.com/s/f1b3ee91This will be an asynchronous meeting.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Thanks everyone for joining today.This async meeting will remain open for another 24 hours, and will then be moved to the forum.

Participants:

Ekke Guembel (he/him), Ruth Cheesley (she/her), Oluwatobi Owolabi, Nico Grienauer, Jordan Ryan