Mautic Community Forums

Notes from meeting on 6th February 2020

0️⃣ Introductions - who you are, how you’re using Mautic and

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hi folks, Ruth here, I’m based in the UK and am the community manager :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekkehard Gümbel And here it's Ekke, interim team lead and working at an inbound agency in Germany.
Maurizio Melandri Hi, I’m based in Italy :it: and I’m a web consultant and WordPress developer (I’ve also organized WordPress meetups). From one year I make marketing automation solutions using Mautic open source. :+1: We also completed the certification process as Mautic partner last year (just before the acquisition) but we are not active with the ‘Pro’ version. :sweat_smile:
Oluwatobi Owolabi Hi, I am Oluwatobi Owolabi. reside in Lagos offering digital marketing services to small businesses. I love buildining communuties that impacts lives and businesses.
Nico Grienauer I'm Nico From Vienna, Since 2005 in the Drupal CMS Area and since 2009 Board Member from Drupal Austria. I help to spread Open Source Software and develop it further. I am Founder of acolono.com a company with 10 Employees specialized in Drupal, Styleguides, Audits/analytics/metrics.

1️⃣ Review last meeting’s notes & actionshttps://forum.mautic.org/t/notes-from-meeting-on-30th-january-2020/12544

1️⃣ . :one: Meetup guidelineshttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1dWBTKxjC2UHSdCCpeFZ6CF95fOABWEbQhhgpuhfcWws/edit

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) We have our first meetup just signed up, Lagos in Nigeria - and set up on the Meetup group :slightly_smiling_face: First meeting planned in April.
Ekkehard Gümbel awesome!
Ekkehard Gümbel BTW Part of every meetup should always be a "contribution starting points" presentation (for which we should provide a slide deck)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes, I agree - how to get started in the community you mean?
Oluwatobi Owolabi I agree with Ekke on having a slide deck to introduce the community and how members can benefits and contribute to Mautic.
Nico Grienauer how to contribute, where to help,… and wyh :stuck_out_tongue: would be nice to habe a max of 5 slides I think.
Ekkehard Gümbel Cross-thread post of Nico's draft: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DQ_JYVrHteZSF9OwxpG7Lm8g8C1I21Nv7tb1USwhuuE/edit

1️⃣ . 2️⃣ Community Handbookhttp://new.communityhandbook/ (via /etc/hosts, see https://trello.com/c/bk2shVg4/15-create-a-community-handbook)

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I haven’t contributed much to it since I put it up as I’ve been working on the docs and KB, but let me know if you want to have an account on the UI to edit/add content
Ekkehard Gümbel yes please :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Added :slightly_smiling_face:
Oluwatobi Owolabi Can someone please send me a screenshot of this handbook I can't access the link I guess I have to add the IP to host so that I can contribute? Or better still if it can be a Google Docs.
Ekkehard Gümbel Hi Tobi, see https://trello.com/c/bk2shVg4/15-create-a-community-handbook:"Please add the following to your hosts file:206.81.6.243 new.communityhandbookThen go to http://new.communityhandbook/"Let me know if you have any trouble :)
Oluwatobi Owolabi Can't access it because I not on a server for now to ass the IP and link to a host file
Ekkehard Gümbel oh.... that's tough because there are currently 27 pages and there is no easy way to export them in bulk. Let's wait if @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) has a solution :)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) You don’t need to be on a server, your hosts file is something that is on your local computer. What operating system are you using @Oluwatobi Owolabi ?
Oluwatobi Owolabi I use Windows and Unbutu. Probably share a link that can help me, I can walk myself through.
Nico Grienauer @Oluwatobi Owolabi https://www.webhostface.com/kb/knowledgebase/modify-hosts-file/
Oluwatobi Owolabi Thank you.
Oluwatobi Owolabi This works. Thanks a lot.

1️⃣ .3️⃣ Create a meetup support pack for new Mautic Meetups

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I think this kinda ties in with 1.1 & 1.2 - we have the slide deck I used in OpenFest as a starting point, that was a broad intro to mautic and what it is

1️⃣ .4️⃣ Prepare a campaign to invite people to get involved and inform of future events

Ekkehard Gümbel first draft in https://trello.com/c/VOOug7fq/4-prepare-a-campaign-which-will-invite-people-to-get-involved-and-inform-of-forthcoming-events-etc#comment-5e3c4cac56f74e0cffee2e97
Ekkehard Gümbel please review thoroughly (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Mautic and Maestro instances have just been set up yesterday, I haven’t got around to reading through the details and figuring out user accounts yet
Ekkehard Gümbel Who will do the tracking integration in the verious places, cookie consent, and stuff like that? Is that you, or maybe s/o else in Acquia?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) cookie consent etc is being dealt with by Acquia on the new mautic.org site (recording to come from today’s meeting)

1️⃣ .5️⃣ Creating a PACSI for the community team

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Have not yet started on this, but we can use the Marketing team’s template as a google sheet template and start from there.

2️⃣ Review trello boardhttps://trello.com/b/OOB4fS1p/mautic-community-team (edited)

2️⃣ .1️⃣ Follow up on proposal for meetup.com pro account

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) This is now up and running, yay! :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) meetup.com/pro/mautic
Ekkehard Gümbel :clap::clap::clap::slightly_smiling_face:
Jordan Ryan @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) is there a los Mautic Los Angeles chapter? We organize 2 very successful meetups in the LA area focused on tech happy hours, would love to get a Co-Organizer role for a Mautic LA Meetup
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) @jordan8037310 can you open a thread in ‘Mautic in the USA’ to start the discussion?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) https://forum.mautic.org/c/international-by-country/mautic-in-the-usa/69
Jordan Ryan I'm a bit confused about the instructions in the pinned thread: https://forum.mautic.org/t/about-the-mautic-in-the-usa-category/11886
Jordan Ryan Also, after going through this now for the first time, I think reading 30 articles is much too high of a barrier to entry and in fact is likely reducing the growth of the community due to too much friction. can I raise this on an additional thread somewhere for discussion? Or can @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) you not it for later discussion
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Oh sorry that’s the default category post :neutral_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) It’s probably something we need to tweak on all the categories to be honest. Most of them I created in haste to get them up and running and haven’t gone back to write a descriptive intro for each category
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) About the 30 threads requirement, it’s the Discourse default, open to modifying it down if and when we have more forum moderators.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Currently it’s basically me myself and I.
Jordan Ryan I'm hesitant to volunteer myself because I'm already so overcommitted and overworked with internal agency workings. I'll propose a topic of discussion in the channel under any other business
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) OK yes, please do :slightly_smiling_face:
Jordan Ryan Are these going to be consolidated? https://www.meetup.com/topics/mautic/
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) If they want to be ‘official’ and start meeting, that is the plan
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) although they import them in bulk, generally in groups of 10 :neutral_face:
Jordan Ryan My proposal for LA: https://forum.mautic.org/t/los-angeles-ca-los-angeles-mautic-meetup/12635/2
Ekkehard Gümbel :+1::skin-tone-2:
Oluwatobi Owolabi Nice one with the up and running of the Meetup account.
Nico Grienauer is there any benefit to transfer a meetup group to your meetup account? https://www.meetup.com/Mautic-Austria/
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) You don’t have to pay the fees, and you’ll be featured in the map at meetup.com/pro/mautic
Nico Grienauer and the ownership is still the same?
Nico Grienauer just wondering who wil have access to the data…
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) My understanding is that the pro account becomes a “sponsor” of the group and then your group comes under the rolled up reporting and administration
Nico Grienauer ok sounds good. maybe this could somewhere added, because this is interesting for others too.

2️⃣.2️⃣ Ensure all teams have an onboarding person/workflow

2️⃣ .3️⃣ Create guidelines for setting up an in-person meetup

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Is this the same as 1.3?
Ekkehard Gümbel not sure, up to you - to me it sounds more like "framework" vs. "practical things and assets"
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) OK
Oluwatobi Owolabi I look forward to this

2️⃣ .4️⃣ Set up @mautic.org email accounts for team leaders

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) This is on me, I’ll get those set up this week.
Ekkehard Gümbel nice!

2️⃣ .5️⃣ Explore options for MautiCon 2020

Ekkehard Gümbel Latest discussion is here: https://mautic.slack.com/archives/CQV40ULMA/p1580398229046300?thread_ts=1580383363.034000
Ekkehard Gümbel How do we proceed from here?

2️⃣ .6️⃣ Organize community council & sprint event in April

Ekkehard Gümbel @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) could you find out if Prague is in fact an option?
Ekkehard Gümbel @Nico Grienauer (he/him) Any news on Vienna?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes, Prague would be an option. We could use the facilities at the Prague office: https://www.hubpraha.cz/en/spaces/#spaces (fireplace room for council and ground floor for community event is what @john recommends)
Ekkehard Gümbel Perfect! I'd say let's fix the date asap.-> Next steps?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’d say lock in the dates and book the venue. Then figure out where is best to stay nearby etc.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) So we go for the 14th for council meeting, then the 15-16 for a community sprint?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) hmmmm, just looking at the calendar, and I noticed that the 14th and 15th coincide with the last two days of passover which are traditionally observed as days of rest in the Jewish calendar
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) might we be better to shift it to 16/17?
Ekkehard Gümbel Hmm... anyone affected that we know of?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Anybody jewish would be impacted by that
Ekkehard Gümbel and would 15th work for the council?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) (that’s quite a significant population so it would be sensible not to hold an event that coincided with the main festival in the religion - lessons learned from doing it in the past)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) let me check
Ekkehard Gümbel once we have the dates fixed, every team should quickly decide if they want one day or two (so that people can book their travels)
Nico Grienauer do we know how many people are expected? or how many could we expect?
Ekkehard Gümbel no, it's really a chicken & egg problem. At this point we need to guess (and be flexible)
Slackbot Hey there, it sounds like you might be asking for support? We ask that you please post requests for support on https://forum.mautic.org - for more information on how the Mautic community uses Slack and our Forums please see this post: https://forum.mautic.org/t/using-the-community-forums-with-slack/12011 - thank you! :mautibot:

3️⃣ Specific Community events

Nico Grienauer I created a not publishable doc (copy paste session from some drupal related materials!) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DQ_JYVrHteZSF9OwxpG7Lm8g8C1I21Nv7tb1USwhuuE/edit?usp=sharing just to have another side how this can be written. maybe could be an inspiration to get more into the mauticamp section of our doc… but as syed. it is copy pasted. we can use parts of it. would be good to have a sidenote then with info, that this was inspired by drupal related papers (personally I really like this approach to share stuff also cross systems.
Ekkehard Gümbel good stuff, thanks Nico!

3️⃣ .1️⃣ FOSDEM (retrospect)

Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Cross post from the Marketing Team meeting:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I spent this weekend at FOSDEM in Brussels. If you haven’t heard of it before, it’s the biggest gathering of Open Source folk in Europe - fosdem.org.We had a stand on Saturday in the main theatre building, and I was literally busy all day from 0830 through to 1930hrs talking to people about Mautic, marketing automation and so forth.I met several contributors and users of Mautic who were super excited to see us there (not sure if we’ve had a presence in the past) but the vast majority of people had either never heard of Marketing Automation, never thought to look for an Open Source marketing platform because they didn’t know one existed, and most had never come across Mautic.We definitely need to have some kind of ‘what is marketing automation’ 101 resource to be able to point people toward.I think we could do some work on raising awareness of personalisation, digital experience and how Mautic fits in the scheme of things.The folk I did talk to largely fit into two buckets. Super excited, fascinated and really could see the value of Mautic - or put off by their experience being personalised and not wanting to hand over their data at all. So two aspects to think on.Also had some feature requests which I posted on the forums.
Ekkehard Gümbel bravo @Ruth Cheesley (she/her)! Tremendous job, once again :pray:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I think it’s definitely an event we should focus on next year. Huge attendance (every single room was packed to capacity) and a great audience to share Mautic with. Definitely need more than one person. And WAY more mautibot stickers (I took 150 with me of each, and they were gone!)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I think we could do with a sticker of the horizontal logo, so people see the full brand name Mautic, not just the M.
Oluwatobi Owolabi Well done @Ruth Cheesley (she/her). Possibly anyway you can put together like a playbook on how to talk about Mautic so that it can be of help to others in pitching and discussing about Mautic at events based on your vast knowledge and experience or have a video call recorded can be also be part of the on-boarding process.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) That’s a really good idea, I think the pitch deck that #t-marketing are working on will do some that
Oluwatobi Owolabi Great. Thanks.

3️⃣.2️⃣ Status MautiCamp Barcelona

3️⃣.3️⃣ Contribution week / Community retreat Spain (Floris' idea)

Ekkehard Gümbel @floris is it the one you are mentioning here? https://www.etondigital.com/how-to-help-drupal-community-grow/What sort of integration / separation do you envision for Mautic in that context?
Ekkehard Gümbel And would you see this as a private offering, or rather an official community event?
Floris van Geel this is an online query as part of a blogpost, but indeed a good initiative.

3️⃣ .4️⃣ others?

4️⃣ Any other Business

Oluwatobi Owolabi Lagos is planning the first meetup proposed for April 25. Any support, guidance and tips is welcomed.
Slackbot Hey there, it sounds like you might be asking for support? We ask that you please post requests for support on https://forum.mautic.org - for more information on how the Mautic community uses Slack and our Forums please see this post: https://forum.mautic.org/t/using-the-community-forums-with-slack/12011 - thank you! :mautibot:
Floris van Geel @Oluwatobi Owolabi yes, make a post here: https://forum.mautic.org/c/international-by-country/
Floris van Geel talk to people around, ask questions, collect a enthusiastic local team and just do it :slightly_smiling_face: (edited)
Oluwatobi Owolabi Okay, I will do that.
Ekkehard Gümbel ...and the other way round: If there is anything specific that we can help with, please let us know! @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) is working on a "support package" anyway, she'll appreciate your input :slightly_smiling_face:
Slackbot Hey there, it sounds like you might be asking for support? We ask that you please post requests for support on https://forum.mautic.org - for more information on how the Mautic community uses Slack and our Forums please see this post: https://forum.mautic.org/t/using-the-community-forums-with-slack/12011 - thank you! :mautibot:

4️⃣ .1️⃣ team meeting cycle

Ekkehard Gümbel I suggest we switch from weekly to every 2nd week, and get more done :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) :+1:
Oluwatobi Owolabi I agree
Ekkehard Gümbel ok, so next meeting is Feb/20 at 11am UK time, right? @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) can you change the calendar entries?(at the next meeting, I'd also like to review the hours - do we want to adjust anything? Also in conjunction with the live call - how often do we currently want that?

4️⃣ .2️⃣ Use e.g. "Mautic Marketing Team" instead of "Mautic Community Marketing Team" (-> Future of brand Name?)

Ekkehard Gümbel @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) this is e.g. for calendar entries where the subject gets truncated- and thus currently all look the same
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yeah, I think that’s fine especially as now Acquia aren’t using the brand name. That’s why I used it initially
Nico Grienauer so Acquia is rebranding the Suite on their End then?!
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Mautic.com is now mostly redirected to Acquia.com

4️⃣ .3️⃣ more?

4️⃣.4️⃣ Proposal to reduce the barrier to entry on Discourse forums

Jordan Ryan Currently Discourse requires the following in order to start posting or replying via comments:A minimum of 10 minutes spent on the site.A minimum of 30 articles read.Business case to reduce the barrier to entry posting a new post:As currently is archived and community members in Slack are actively reminded to post their issues in the Mautic community forum;And the volume of new issues is quite low;We should consider the amount of friction presented in the current Community Support Process, and reduce the barrier to entry.Proposal for Reduced Barrier to Entry:Include instructions in the site-wide signup warning that First-time users should spend time searching for their specific issue before creating a new post. We believe that a minimum of 10 related posts should be reviewed before someone creates a new post as a best practice. Please search for key terms related to your issue before posting.Reduce the barrier to entry to reading 10 posts, as this is one page of search results and should be a sufficient reminder to perform due diligence.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I can do that, do we still think 10 minutes is a reasonable time?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’ll tweak it to 10 topics, 10 minutes (it requires opening 5 different threads, and reading 10 topics in total) and we can see if that has any impact on spam or whatever. We’ve had very little spam and a growing number of new contributions from new members which is good to see! But I’m totally open to making it a friction-minimised experience
Jordan Ryan Appreciate that, I think we can always increase it when spam becomes a problem!
Ekkehard Gümbel Love the initiative!(@Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I suggest we involve t-education as the forums are their turf, no?)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’ve already been discussing it there, but there isn’t currently anybody with an interest in supporting the forums
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I’ll let folk know about the change to 10 threads though

Participants:

Ruth Cheesley (she/her), Ekkehard Gümbel, Maurizio Melandri, Oluwatobi Owolabi, Nico Grienauer, Jordan Ryan, Slackbot, Floris van Geel