Notes from Meeting on 7th May, 2020

0️⃣ Introductions - who you are, how you’re using Mautic and

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Gruetzi - I'm Ekki, based in Northern Germany, not in Switzerland :wink:and I'm currently spending a lot of time trying to help the Mautic community blossom :mautibot:(In our agency, we do a lot of corporate website projects but a growing percentage of Mautic services.
Nico Grienauer I’m Nico From Vienna, Since 2005 in the Drupal CMS Area and since 2009 Board Member from Drupal Austria. I help to spread Open Source Software and develop it further. I am Founder of acolono.com a company with 10 Employees specialized in Drupal, Styleguides, Audits/analytics/metrics.also Mautic “Community Lead NR.2” they told me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruben Teijeiro Hi, I’m Ruben from Spain. I am co-founder of Youpal (https://www.youpal.se) a Digital Agency based in Sweden. We are using actively Mautic internally and offering it to our customers. (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Hi folks, I’m Ruth based in the UK. I work as the community manager here, trying to support the community to grow and thrive and generally trying to get Mautic used by more people! I’ve been a contributor since the early days of Mautic :mautibot:

1️⃣ Current "hot" topics

1️⃣ .1️⃣ MautiCon

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Poll results so far:18 votes (10 for Nov/3, 8 for Nov/17)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) I'd tend to close the poll now, not much action going on there. Ok?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Next steps should probably include a rough outline of working areas, and on that basis: Pulling a team together.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Would we issue a "save the date" nonetheless?
Nico Grienauer close it.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) :+1:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes I am in favour of closing the poll as well, I think we need to issue a hold the date sooner rather than later.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ok deal!
Ekke Guembel (he/him) -> For next steps, I think it's time to activate #wg-mauticon
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Draft for #mauticon :@channel Save the date: Our first MautiCon will very probably be on Nov/3, 2020 !Once again, we are now starting the team(s) to organize that event an all levels. -> Do you want to be a (big or small, doesn't matter) part of that? Please contact me :slightly_smiling_face: ok with you?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her)?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yeah sure I guess, looks good to me! Did you want to also do something for social media?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) hmm... not the call for volunteers
Ekke Guembel (he/him) but not sure about the "save the date" itself - I'd tend to discuss the pros and cons in #wg-mauticon
Ekke Guembel (he/him) published in #mauticon
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) That’s fine by me!
Ekke Guembel (he/him) for the records :slightly_smiling_face:

1️⃣ .2️⃣ Mautic project lead situation (update)

Ekke Guembel (he/him) (see last meeting)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Just FYI: Things have been moving on in between. Nothing final yet, but to be expected really soon :slightly_smiling_face:
Nico Grienauer can we get the info, what happened since the last meeting? ;P
Ruben Teijeiro Yes, that would be interesting as there is no much info about what’s going on.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) I'd love to share more now, but I really can't - please be patient just a little bit.

1️⃣ .3️⃣ Next sprint

Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) brought up the question of "when is the next sprint".
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Two thoughts form my side:a) General: How many (virtual) sprints can we do per year?b) Specific: What is good timing in relation to M3?
Nico Grienauer I think at least 1 per Quarter should be possible?! if enough people are motivated, maybe even more often?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) hard to tell really. Over time, maybe even per-team sprints?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Anyway, for the moment I'd like to ponder (b) a bit:Given that we do the next sprint AFTER the M3 release, a possible timeline could berelease M3tough weeks fighting the bugs in 3.0.0stabilizing M3breathing time for devsfirst post-M3 sprint
Ekke Guembel (he/him) This would point to something like "2 month after release" (edited)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) OR we do an explicit "M3 sprint" - everybody concentrating on this one thing (obviously coding and testing, but also prepare marketing and documentation)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) do you have any recent insights on possible M3 timeframes?And how well Marketing and Education are prepared already?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I don’t have any explicit timeline, there are some PR’s which need testing before we can release the beta, but the beta should hopefully be pretty stable and lead to a stable release pretty soon after. I think if we have whole community sprints once a quarter, teams could then organise their own sprints in addition to this if they want to?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) 1 general sprint per quarter PLUS additional team sprints sound like a lot to me, honestly. But let's simply find out by asking people at our next sprint! :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Anyway: Does an M3-focussed sprint make sense (and is it possible), at least for some teams?Or are we well on track, and everything will be in good shape for the release?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) @Nico Grienauer (he/him)?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I have a sense that we are pretty much on track, we just need to release the beta and there are about 7 PR’s open for testing
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I understand it should be pretty stable as it’s already in use in the cloud. The outstanding PR’s are for bugs that were found during the earlier releases in the cloud
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ok perfect! in that case -next sprint not to be scheduled now, but only after M3 release, ok?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) (including Marketing, ...)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Schedule the next sprint for sure, we could look at the next release after 3.0 perhaps? We have a whole bunch of features that are backed up leading merging
Ekke Guembel (he/him) On 2nd thought: Maybe we should take this to #leadership, it's not something for #t-community to decide alone :thinking_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yeah sure that’s fine by me too

2️⃣ Review select topics from Trello board https://trello.com/b/OOB4fS1p/mautic-community-team

2️⃣ .1️⃣ "MautiCafe"

Ekke Guembel (he/him) @rteijeiro all yours :wink:
Ruben Teijeiro I propose the following topics for the MautiCafe to be openly discussed:Getting started with MauticIntegration with DrupalConnecting Mautic with Facebook, LinkedIn and other Social Media channels.Contacts SegmentationGetting started with CampaignsNewsletters in Mautic (Open Source Mailchimp)Personalised Web Content(edited)
Ruben Teijeiro One single topic for each MautiCafe will be enough and I’m sure people will suggest more topics as long as they start engaging. (edited)
Ruben Teijeiro What I don’t know is when it’s the best time to host it. Maybe 16:00 CET so most people can assist?
Ruben Teijeiro We agreed in MautiCafe won’t be recorded, right?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) I guess so, but it's up to us to decide
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Can you remind me what the Mauticafé is going to be, I can’t remember whether we agreed it was going to be a webinar style, or just an opportunity for people to come together and chat on a topic
Ekke Guembel (he/him) but before we go there: Let's define the purpose once again!
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ehmm yes, same question as @Ruth Cheesley (she/her)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) imho not a webinar, but interactive
Ekke Guembel (he/him) however, is it a "support hour"?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) or a general hangout mostly for social purposes?
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) If we wanted to do webinars in those topics I had already been looking into being able to have a zoom webinar account, so I’d be happy to work on that if it were a separate project with someone.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @rteijeiro can you recall the original idea? "Open hangout" vs. "Open peer-to-peer support hour" vs. "top-down webinar style" etc.to the best of my knowledge, we wnated to give a fixed hour where Mautic people can connect in any way, but I feel it evolved from there...
Ruben Teijeiro My assumption is that if we are having a videocall without any specific agenda, it will be more difficult for people to join and engage. That’s why I suggested some simple topics that will open the conversation. Anyway we can change the model if you want :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) no no, I just want to start with "what is the purpose, why do we bother, why do we want the MautiCafé?"(The format is next - and yes, we should find something that we really believe in : )
Ruben Teijeiro I see the MautiCafe like an initial place for people to get started within the Mautic Community in an informal way. See some faces and discuss some topics like what brings you to Mautic and what kind of interests you have and maybe issues you found getting started.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ok, but who would they talk to? Or is it just "newbie to newbie"?

2️⃣ .2️⃣ "Planet Mautic"

Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Nico Grienauer (he/him) all yours :wink:
Nico Grienauer yes! thx :slightly_smiling_face:
Nico Grienauer planet mautic is a bit different, what I build at the sprint.please give me feedback: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FHNpxnruhwjkCKigRcJMWWcKYA-9G7-JRDYj_zQcpnc/edit#Idea is to have some kind of “verified” aggregated informations from around the web from users/companies…beside there is the mautic-stream “project” where we can collect sources from multiple services etc, which also can have crap inside. it would be just a tool to get a stream of things inside. whcih are not “verified”so I am suggesting 2 “projects” but stay with the planet mautic first. would be great to get feedback on my suggestion document and texts and which sources we should put in there for the first version.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) This is great, thanks for your work on this @Nico Grienauer (he/him)! My main query is will there be a small working group to manage this process, and also ensuring that we have some way of post comes up, we can remove it.
Nico Grienauer I think it would be fine to have a thread in the forum. there companies/people can apply with a rss feed they profide. then there will be 1-2 editors who can verify its content (the rss should have at least 3 posts to go over) and then, if everything is ok, it can be added the service.
Nico Grienauer the widget could be directly added via our java script and I would then also create a mautic style for it, that it looks good on the website too.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes I think that would work, and then it is a public and transparent process
Nico Grienauer yes.
Nico Grienauer next step would be to get feedback on my text proposal.
Nico Grienauer this should/could live then also on mautic.org.
Nico Grienauer the current stream will be dublicated and we have to decide the first contributer streams, who will be aggregated and provided by the service (see xls sheet)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) good stuff! @Nico Grienauer (he/him) Let's lay out the process details (with the editors etc., see above) in the same doc too, no?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) other than that: next steps?more feedback in the docwhat else to really get going???
Nico Grienauer just add it in the doc. should also be published then these info, so it should fit there, whot the content will be approved…

2️⃣ .3️⃣ "Local Communities"

Ekke Guembel (he/him) We're badly stuck here - simply because we can't find a name :disappointed: Without the name we can't get this out to the world!Please read https://mautic.slack.com/archives/CQV40ULMA/p1587654995109400and switch to creativity mode!!! :smile:
Ruben Teijeiro I’ll write my proposals here as well:Mautic HeroesMautic AmbassadorsMautic Guilds
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Cool thanks!Let's test:"Mautic Heroes Japan""Mautic Heroes Middle East""Mautic Heroes Spanish" (Heroes de Mautic? :wink: )or"Mautic Ambassadors Japan""Mautic Ambassadors Middle East""Mautic Ambassadors Spanish"or"Mautic Guild Japan""Mautic Guild Middle East""Mautic Guild Spanish"
Ekke Guembel (he/him) From the three, "Guild" seems to work most universally.The sound of it is - not bad, somewhere in the middle, to me anyway.@Ruth Cheesley (she/her) associated "Guild Wars" when the name was first suggested. But maybe we can live with that, maybe even make fun of it. Also, "Guild" is not really an easy word for non-native speakers, so the existence of "Guild Wars" may even help :slightly_smiling_face:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) long story short - maybe this is the best option so far!
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yeah potentially guild, perhaps the person leading the guild could be the ambassador? It may just be worth our while doing a little bit of research into the word guild, its background and meaning. I don’t actually know myself, and I would want to make sure that it is an appropriate term to use before we went that route. I know for example the guilds were often used to bring together experts in particular industries so in that regard it could be a good term to use. As a re-cap, this was talking about larger groups that cover entire regions, correct? So we would still have Mautic Meetups, but the guilds would be the regional or national level organisation?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) afaik, guilds were craftsmen (craftspeople?) organisations, not problematic I would guess.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) but yes, let's better make sure
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Purpose = mostly to give people a home in the family who are not comfortable with english, and optionally to help be with people that are geographically close.
Slackbot Hey there, it sounds like you might be asking for support? We ask that you please post requests for support on https://forum.mautic.org - for more information on how the Mautic community uses Slack and our Forums please see this post: https://forum.mautic.org/t/using-the-community-forums-with-slack/12011 - thank you! :mautibot:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) from the concept:---Big pictureMautiCores provide a local-language point of contact for users and contributors.In addition, a MautiCore may provide a local group identity - e.g. a “MautiCore UK” would be english, but not not global. “MautiCore UK & Ireland” might make sense, too.Each MautiCore has a team lead, who is also interacting with team leads of other MautiCores, as well as with the functional teams.The functional Mautic teams (Community, Education, Finance, Marketing, Product) as described in the Governance model have to remain all-english.Going forward, MautiCores should of course be represented in the Mautic Community Council, too.Activities and responsibilitiesMature MautiCores shall cover a wide range of activity:Maintaining an up-to-date, translated version of Mautic.org websitePublishing translated social media contentFocussing communication to Mautic's main channels (e.g. Forum and Slack), maybe complemented by other places like official FB groups etc.Note: the existing per-language/per-country forum categories should be transitioned into this. They should be included both in mautic.org/forum and in the mauticore.org pages.Organizing live communication (e.g. online are physical meetups). Purposes are (a) a home for permanent contributors and (b) a temporary starting point for new users, so we are facing the same issues as with every other user group.Organizing local official eventsCreating and publishing original content (e.g. news, case studies, ...)Ensuring the Mautic product translation (currently in Transifex)Organizing contribution to Mautic’s functional teams - through direct membership, or through distributable tasksActive onboarding of new users by localsCreating a "Mautic family" community experience for everyone, without language barrier and with its own identity, but also with the understanding of being a part of something bigger
Ekke Guembel (he/him) ---(In the above we still call them "MautiCores", so ignore the name please)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Thanks for the recap @ekke
Ekke Guembel (he/him) copy & paste :wink:
Ekke Guembel (he/him) BTW I agree we should address the distinction between this animal and MautiCamps, Mautic Meetups, ....
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes absolutely, I think the visual learners would really benefit from some kind of visual depiction even if it’s just a draw.io sketch, and we should give some examples of how it might work in the real world
Ekke Guembel (he/him) yep. We already have a number of volunteers to lead such [guilds] - try and adopt the concept, then also work on easy-to-grasp explanation
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I think the term is cleanhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild
Jordan Ryan Throwing in: Mautic TribeJapanese Mautic TribeSpanish Mautic TribeMiddle East Mautic Tribe
Jordan Ryan Tribe denotes the language where as Guild denotes a skillset.
Jordan Ryan I could see Guilds being used for something like functional focus areas. Mautic Email Guild vs. Mautic API Guild
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes that’s an interesting perspective as well.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) "Tribe" is indeed a very good analogy, mich better than guild for what we need here! As a word, it's not perfect either, but seems good enough to me. Usage: Maybe turn it into"MauticTribe French" etc? (Makes it more explicit that this one is about language, not about country)
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Associations: I know it is not on the word but to my brain, there comes little bit of "warriors" with it. As opposed to the coziness that we originally intended.Is that a problem?

2️⃣ .4️⃣ Atlassian vs. Github

Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) all yours :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yeah so this was a discussion based on whether we want to use something like the Atlassian stack, (confluence, Jira etc) or something like Gitlab, for managing the communityTo do lists/tasks, but also as a place for documentation about how we do things in the community. (edited)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) My main concern with Gitlab is I don’t see anything that is comparable to confluence? Perhaps someone can point this out to me but I couldn’t find anything that does the same kind of job. Gitlab may be great from the development perspective, but my understanding was that we were looking for something that would serve the whole community. For me, the Atlassian stack seems to do that better.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) oh - of course, you're right
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Let me try to find the point where this discussion started
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Not in Slack - must have come from the Sprint.@floris I'm prteyy sure you were involved, right - can you enlighten us once again? :slightly_smiling_face:
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) It could well have been in the product team as well because we were discussing Jira over there
Ekke Guembel (he/him) In https://mautic.slack.com/archives/CQMKV0RU1/p1586429888212200 the discussion goes more pro Atlassian, except the point of "why not stay in github"?I guess we all agree that we do NOT want to switch to Bitbucket
Ekke Guembel (he/him) IMHO we are talking about Jira and Confluence.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes we were just talking about Jira and confluence
Ekke Guembel (he/him) :+1

2️⃣ .5️⃣ Review Community Dashboard

Ekke Guembel (he/him) Side note, see aboveThe tool we use for our Community Health dashboard has an update with some really nice features, will take a look into this next week as i think some of them will be super helpful!https://blog.bitergia.com/2020/04/30/grimoirelab-0-2-40-release-is-out/
Ekke Guembel (he/him) @Ruth Cheesley (she/her) I suppose we can remove Discourse from https://dashboard.mautic.org/, no?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) Out of curiosity: Do you have any plans to enhance the current content of the dashboard? (I guess it's not a priority these days, but nonetheless...)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Discourse is still supposed to be on there but it’s broken, and I haven’t had any bandwidth to look into why. It should be pulling in the data. I haven’t yet applied the new release, as the docker compose file hasn’t yet been updated and I haven’t had the time to fully dig into what is needed. We can absolutely expand the data and visualisation is over time.I would love us to perhaps see if we can find a couple of people with DevOps experience who could take on making sure that our servers and software remains up-to-date. At the moment I am the main bottleneck with this, so it’s definitely something we need to address
Ekke Guembel (he/him) That'd be great! How about we just ask for volunteers, in Slack & Twitter & co?
Ekke Guembel (he/him) (BTW... mixed up Discourse and Discord once again :zany_face:)
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Ha ha easy to do! Yes I think however we need to ensure that we vent carefully whoever we allowed to do that role. They will have full access to the servers. Not mautic.org obviously however they will have access to very high traffic sites like our documentation.
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) So we just need to be a little bit cautious.
Ekke Guembel (he/him) yep, or we had to implement an extra technical layer, or simply have someone top assist in those cases ("create an oauth token" or whatever it is). MAYBE we come to a point where it's worth that effort - absolutely depending on the person.-> Let's first try to find someone, and then (SHOULD we succeed) see
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) Yes indeed, however someone managing the server would need to be doing that via ssh
Ruth Cheesley (she/her) However it would be good just to capture these things for example in a backlog when we know that there are updates that need to be applied, so that someone can work through them. At the moment they are just at my To Do list which no one else has visibility over!
Ekke Guembel (he/him) https://trello.com/c/vpunWVtv/36-review-community-dashboard ?

2️⃣ .6️⃣ Any other cards that you wish to discuss

Ekke Guembel (he/him) any?

3️⃣ Specific Community events

Ekke Guembel (he/him) any?

4️⃣ Any other Business

Ekke Guembel (he/him) anything?

5️⃣ Ensure that action items are all explicit (ideally: in Trello); review priorities

6️⃣ Date, time and mode of next team meeting

Ekke Guembel (he/him) UK time: Thu, May/21, 16:00 UKYour time: https://everytimezone.com/s/ff53dc56By default this is a 24-hours async meeting.BUT we always happily add a short Live call to it if anyone wishes that!

Participants:

Ekke Guembel (he/him), Nico Grienauer, Ruben Teijeiro, Ruth Cheesley (she/her), Slackbot, Jordan Ryan

1 Like