"Referred by" field

I need to create a field that accepts an Email address of another contact who referred them – the tricky part is that what I’d like to have happen is for that other contact (the referrer) to have their points updated when the main contact submits the form using their email address as the “Referred by”.

I’d be able to make changes in the code as needed, but since I’m sure someone else has needed this before, I thought I’d ask: has anyone done this before? Are there solutions available? If not, can someone point me in the right direction as to what I might change to make this possible?

I need to create a field that accepts an Email address of another contact who referred them – the tricky part is that what I’d like to have happen is for that other contact (the referrer) to have their points updated when the main contact submits the form using their email address as the “Referred by”.

I’d be able to make changes in the code as needed, but since I’m sure someone else has needed this before, I thought I’d ask: has anyone done this before? Are there solutions available? If not, can someone point me in the right direction as to what I might change to make this possible?