@mikew , I just ran into this myself. Funny to read my answer and getting angry at myself.
In fact, my suggestion doesn’t work.
This is the issue I ran into (running 3.2.1 on this one)
1. User checks shopify page with Mautic tracking
- tracking works perfectly, anonimous user is created, and tracked properly.
2. User chooses products, goes to the cart
- tracking still works, contact is seen last in the cart.
3. User pays
- tracking doesn’t register that, but it’s okay, shopify keeps its system closed.
4. Shopify Plugin submits the email data via API
- new contact is created with NO tracking history, just an email address. Identified by Shopify Plugin.
this is still how it’s expected
5. Contact get’s a thank you mail with tracking image and a link
6. User opens email and clicks
- here is the problem: even by opening on the same browser the Contact Nr. 2. will be continued to be tracked. Our Contact No.1. will be abadoned, and tracking won’t happen anymore, and previous tracking is also not merged together.
So we will have 2 profiles:
Contact No 1.: With pre-purchase info, anonymous
Contact No 2.: With Post-Purchase, identified
And both contacts would have the same Mautic Device Id.
The question is: why are these 2 contacts not merged?