Trick - how to send campaign to existing segment members

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this with you:

If you design a campaign that takes contacts from a segment as its source, contacts that are already in the segment won’t be affected by the campaign and it will only affect new contacts that are added to the segment after the campaign is already published.

I managed to send a new campaign to contacts that were already in the segment before the campaign was created in this way:

1. set up your segment (you probably already have one filled with contacts, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this)
  2. set up your campaign so that this segment will be its source
  3. go to /s/segments and open contacts from that segment by clicking View ### contacts
  4. select all the contacts using the checkbox in the table header (hint: if you have more than 100 contacts, you can manipulate the DOM of the pagination drop-down by adding a larger value :D)
  5. re-add all these contacts to the segment they are already in - by selecting Change Segments from the dropdown in the table header and, then, choosing your segment in the field Add to the following.

So what you are basically doing is adding contacts to the segment they are already in which is somehow enough for the campaign to process them. And after you do that, the campaign will be sent to contacts that were already in the segment before the campaign was created.

I hope it helps someone. If there has already been a similar thread in the forums, please link it here (and vice versa) so that we maximally share our know-how in using Mautic. :)

Best,

D.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this with you:

If you design a campaign that takes contacts from a segment as its source, contacts that are already in the segment won’t be affected by the campaign and it will only affect new contacts that are added to the segment after the campaign is already published.

I managed to send a new campaign to contacts that were already in the segment before the campaign was created in this way:

1. set up your segment (you probably already have one filled with contacts, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this)
  2. set up your campaign so that this segment will be its source
  3. go to /s/segments and open contacts from that segment by clicking View ### contacts
  4. select all the contacts using the checkbox in the table header (hint: if you have more than 100 contacts, you can manipulate the DOM of the pagination drop-down by adding a larger value :D)
  5. re-add all these contacts to the segment they are already in - by selecting Change Segments from the dropdown in the table header and, then, choosing your segment in the field Add to the following.

So what you are basically doing is adding contacts to the segment they are already in which is somehow enough for the campaign to process them. And after you do that, the campaign will be sent to contacts that were already in the segment before the campaign was created.

I hope it helps someone. If there has already been a similar thread in the forums, please link it here (and vice versa) so that we maximally share our know-how in using Mautic. :slight_smile:

Best,
D.

Thanks for your tips! this was the salvation! :slight_smile:

@denispavliha good trick.

+1

hello,
i have an issues:
I am able to change DOM to max 500 otherwise server sent error;( - so is there any other solution the problem with segments? I have segments with 5k contacts - so changing them 100 by 100 is going to last for a long time:(

Tomasz

Why don’t you create a temporary campaign that moves them from that segment to a new one?

That should probably do it, justinroffmarsh, yes… well the problem with temporary campaigns is self-discipline - you should indeed delete them after you’re done with using them, otherwise you have like 30 “temporary” campaigns messing with your campaign collection :slight_smile:

Hi denispavliha, I can not start a campaign from the segments.
See my post: Urgent: Problem with campaign starting from segment.
Have you got directions to give me? They are really in trouble with my client.
Thank you in advance.

@denispavliha wrote:

This is not the case for me, contacts already in the segment also get the emails. I think that the reason is that I have set up the “mautic:campaigns:trigger” maintenance task as a cron job.

I am sorry my workaround does not apply to your cases.