Unrequested unsubscribes

Your software
My Mautic version is: Mautic 4.4.10
My PHP version is: 7.4.3-4ubuntu2.19
My Database type and version is: 10.3.38-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.20.04.1

Your problem
My problem is:
I have some users who are registering as unsubscribing, even though they say that they have not requested it. These contacts have subscribed through a double opt-in, but as soon as they read their first Mautic email, in the same minute that the email is read, we’re getting an unsubscribe request. In these cases, we’re sending the email. Three minutes later, the email is read and unsubscribed. In some cases, the recipient is even requesting other actions, such as clicking on our link to attend a meeting, after they unsubscribe. I have other users who swear that they didn’t unsubscribe. I resubscribe them, and as soon as they receive the next email, the same thing happens.

Does anyone know the cause of this?

Thanks,
Robert

These errors are showing in the log:

Steps I have tried to fix the problem:

1 Like

Hi, this happens for Outlook emails.
A spam filter popps the unsubscribe link.
Check this article (last paragraphs about one click unsubscribe)

Joey

to clarify: You may want to remove the unsubscribe link form the footer (which has drawbacks, I know) and instead solely rely on the one-click-unsubscribe link in the client (which comes with Mautic 4.4.11)

I’ve upgraded to 4.4.11. Is the best practice to leave the unsubscribe link at the end of our emails, or is that no longer necessary?

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that it is legally not required, but users are still looking for it.

Best practice seems to be to make that link NOT one-click, so that Microsoft ATP et al. can no longer cause the behavior that you experienced by probing all links it finds…

As far as I read - the one click unsubscribe header is delivering a mechanism, that can intentionally trigger the unsubscribe, but not by accident. This means, a software thats testing links in a mail body will still land on a preference page that requires additional steps to unsubscribe, while the header mechanism needs to provide the way to really unsubscribe the mailing via the mail client functionality.

My problem was that I wasn’t showing the preference page, so when the link was getting tested, it was unsubscribing the recipient. I’ve resolved that now. Thank you everyone for your assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.