UTM/URL tracking

Your problem If I wanted to track a contact source, using UTM or URL tracking filters will it work on facebook?

My problem is : It doesn’t seem to work.

Steps I have tried to fix the problem : Implemented both UTM source params and URL tracking filters to see if at least one of those would work.

try the following things:

1. make sure the mautic tracking code is placed in your page
  2. test the tracking in an anonymous tab or in another browser / profile where you don’t use to login in mautic/tracking ignore the activity of logged users (sometimes even if they have been logged off)
  3. you can create a segment with a particular utm tag and see how many contact appear, if you are using those utm for advertising, for example, chances are the majority will be anonymous
  4. you can create a Page hits report, showing only pages containing utm in the url
    in this example I am showing page hits with utm or facebook tracking id to list my fb campaigns:

when seeing the page hit result, click in the contact record link and see if the utm tags have been marked in the history timeline:

thank you for following up.
Are you on Mautic 3.3?

Your screenshot seems different I dont have that filter options.

Here are my segment filters set up:

yes, I am on Mautic 3.3.
the second screenshot is not from the segment screen, it is the history tab of the contact screen

for the utm source, select just Facebook , on visit url put just the baseurl, everything before ? , remove the ? and everything after and select the option contains instead of equals

ah, and the first screenshot I took is not from the segment screen, its from the report screen

I did remove those params and leave just the page URL, change UTM source to Facebook and “contains” filter, still not tracking hits from facebook though, do you have any other suggestion?

so, did you create a page hit report? can you share a screenshot of the report filter/configuration?

we can take a step back, and just check if your mautic is tracking any page hits, can you see page hit entries on a contact history tab? do you see a page hit specifically for the page you are trying to check?

also keep in mind that if you want to test the tracking you should be using another browser or a anonymous tab, because the tracking will ignore logged users.

My tracking works fine. Here’s the screenshot of the filter config.
I’ve added the facebook contains filter and only the page URL.

Yes I’ve been using an anonymous tab to track users.

I can see from the results that there are no contacts within my segment.

Also tested with just the facebook filter without success.

does the page hit appears on the contact history tab?

Im getting page hits and history for all the other pages my assumption is that tracking works.

Perhaps I’m not getting enough hits on this specific page where I set the UTM filter. Especially coming from facebook.

I’m not running ads.

Also you mentioned:

can create a page hit report on the report section to look for pages with the utm tag (the way I propose on aug 8)

Is there a way to filter out contacts from contact search widget for the specific page hits?

I tested as you suggested in incognito mode and I can confirm that tracking works, I can see myself as anonymous user for that page.

you can create a page hit report on the report section to look for pages with the utm tag (the way I propose on aug 8). the reason I asked you if the page hit appears in the history tab is to confirm that the tracking is working, you keep saying that the track is ok, but I could not see any evidence that it is.

the only reason I can think for the segment not to be working is that the page hit is not being recorded, and there is only 2 places you can see if the page hit is being recorded, thru the page hit report or history tab.

the contact list is usually ordered by the last activity, so if you open a page tracked by mautic in a incognito tab, at least an anonymous contact should be on the top of your contact list with a page hit as its last activity

a report for page visited with utm or comming from facebook or google ads, should look like this:

Im getting page hits and history for all the other pages my assumption is that tracking works.

Perhaps I’m not getting enough hits on this specific page where I set the UTM filter. Especially coming from facebook.

I’m not running ads.

Also you mentioned:

can create a page hit report on the report section to look for pages with the utm tag (the way I propose on aug 8)

Is there a way to filter out contacts from contact search widget for the specific page hits?

I tested as you suggested in incognito mode and I can confirm that tracking works, I can see myself as anonymous user for that page.

The direct hit on the page works but when I click on the link on facebook the UTM tracking doesnt work.

The direct hit on the page works but when I click on the link on facebook the UTM tracking doesnt work.

that is odd, is the page a mautic landing page or it is hosted outside?

if it is a mautic landing page, did you configure to show the page category as part of the page url? if you did, try accessing the page using different paths to see if there is any difference on the tracking, eg:

mautic-server.com/page-category/page-id?utm_campaign=value1
mautic-server.com/page-id?utm_campaign=value1

It is a page on my website. Do you mean this works only for mautic generated landing pages?
Does it work on external pages?

My set up mautic subdomain, website main domain.

On a side note, are you aware there is a way to filter out contacts from contact search widget for the specific page hits?
Is is there any other way to do it, such as via database, can you share how?

I wanted to try something just in case.

tracking works fine on external or internal page, but if you were using internal pages, I would ask you to check additional mautic configuration (but it is not your case)

I don’t believe you can filter out contacts by page hit in the contact widget.

you can create a page hit report in the report section, there you can filter the page hit by contact email (showing the page visited for a specific user or filtering for anonymous user, for example: “email is empty”)

you can also filter the page hit by url, including only pages containing the utm string in the url, for example

tracking works fine on external or internal page

Not in this case though, it doesnt work yet for me. The segment and UTM filter is properly set so why it doesnt work then?

Any other suggestion on how to get it to work with the external page?

you can create a page hit report in the report section, there you can filter the page hit by contact email (showing the page visited for a specific user or filtering for anonymous user, for example: “email is empty”)

you can also filter the page hit by url, including only pages containing the utm string in the url, for example

Im trying to check the report under - Visit published pages, it is empty no data here. No hits, nothing.

The only data set I can see working somehow is time on site which is not really needed.

Any hints on why?

FYI I also set up another segment, with three filters, “page title” and “visited url” “page hit source” all set on contains for direct hits to another specific page that I want to track, I’m not getting any hits/contacts added to my segment though.

Any other suggestion on this one?

I am using mautic 3.3 so I am not sure if this is different:
There is 2 different Pages report, the visited Page and page hits - visited Page only include internal pages, page hit includes all, so you should create a page hit report.