What are pro / con to setup email queueing?

Having set up Amazon SES via SMTP (because of EU Servers to connect to) I wonder whether I should set up send immediately or queueing up the mails. Are there any best practices? Why would queueing be the better option?

Having set up Amazon SES via SMTP (because of EU Servers to connect to) I wonder whether I should set up send immediately or queueing up the mails. Are there any best practices? Why would queueing be the better option?

@dirk_s i’m trying to setup Amazon SES and i will use the Ireland servers too, are there any instructions to follow to the whole SES verification?

It was pretty straightforward. I added verification DNS records and also DKIM records to our domain. I sent a test mail and then asked Amazon to increase the send limits and get out of sandbox. Within a couple of hours this was granted. I could now send 50.000 mails a day with 14 mails/s max.

But back to the initial question. Should I better queue mails instead of sending directly?

Hi,

I think queuing mails means to put emails into a pool to then to sent by another process. This means that whichever process initiated the email send can finish immediately and move on to the next task instead of having to wait for the email to be sent.

So if you have a large number of emails to be sent, it might be beneficial to queue emails. This allows the cron jobs to finish quickly and move on to other things like updating lists, campaign etc. Unfortunately I do not have a magic number for when you will start to see benefits of queuing emails but I think it should be in the order of thousands in my experience.

Hope this helps,

Linh