Amazon SES and Mautic Issues

I’m trying to set up Amazon SES with Mautic. After putting in my credentials and clicking the “Test Connection” button, I get this error:

Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection timed out #110] Log data: ++ Starting MauticEmailBundleSwiftmailerTransportAmazonTransport !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection timed out #110] (code: 0)

++ Starting MauticEmailBundleSwiftmailerTransportAmazonTransport !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection timed out #110] (code: 0)

I’ve tried all the suggestions in the forum but nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions please?

1 Like

I’m trying to set up Amazon SES with Mautic. After putting in my credentials and clicking the “Test Connection” button, I get this error:

Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection timed out #110] Log data: ++ Starting MauticEmailBundleSwiftmailerTransportAmazonTransport !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection timed out #110] (code: 0)
++ Starting MauticEmailBundleSwiftmailerTransportAmazonTransport !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection timed out #110] (code: 0)

I’ve tried all the suggestions in the forum but nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions please?

ports block

I called my hosting company (bluehost) and they said the ports are open.

The email that I am going to be sending the emails from is hosted on zoho (if that helps)

and why you have Amazon SES?

To send mass emails.

please, anyone? stranded here…

@sourdoughbread This is (as @ninjoan said) a ports issue. Your webserver is unable to communicate to Amazon. Unfortunately the only people that can help with that are BlueHost. I would suggest going back to them and get them to confirm you can get out from the server.

Just to double check you do have the right datacenter selected for your SES config?

I also had a similar issue. Have you setup your SMTP credentials with Amazon SES? I needed to “redo” mine with the upgrade.

I finally got it to work by creating new SMTP credentials in amazon.

I got rid of Zoho and am now using Blue Host to host my email. I am still getting the same error.

@nbatch - yes, I have the right data center selected (email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com)

@trops - I also tried getting new SMTP credentials from Amazon but that didn’t work either.

Have you setup verified email addresses in Amazon SES? Cant remember if this automatically happens when you create the SMTP credentials but might be something to look into.

@trops - Yes, I have verified both my email and my domain in Amazon SES

For what it’s worth I had to haggle with mine for a few minutes before it “took” changing credentials saving, then changing again, saving and still nothing. Finally I created a SECOND set of credentials, and then it worked. So…I am not sure how or why, but I would change them out for something you know won’t work, then put the good credentials in again and give it another shot.

@trops

OK I called my hosting company (Blue Host) and they opened port 25 for both incoming and outgoing (they can’t do anything about port 587 since it is a shared hosting package).

I am now getting error #111 - connection refused (before I was getting error#110 - connection time out). See below for the error:

Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection refused #111] Log data: ++ Starting Swift_SmtpTransport !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection refused #111] (code: 0)
++ Starting Swift_SmtpTransport !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com [Connection refused #111] (code: 0)

Making some progress but still not there. Any suggestions?

Got it working!

To anyone else facing the same issue on Blue Host:

You have to use port 2587 and make sure to call them and tell them to open it for incoming and outgoing.

@sourdoughbread that is awesome news!

@sourdoughbread
I’m having exactly the same problem, and I’m using BlueHost as well. I’m getting error #111 (connection refused) on port 25. Bluehost support (after an hour and a half of back-and-forth chat) claim it is available for outgoing connections, but I’m not convinced. They won’t open port 2587 for me without purchasing a dedicated IP. Do you have the dedicated IP add-on?

I am no longer with blue host (for completely unrelated reasons) but when I was with them, I did not have a dedicated IP add-on. Just tell them you need port 2587 open for incoming and outgoing in order to connect with Amazon. Emphasize that it is Amazon and not some random service. If they ask for an IP range to white-list tell them that the Amazon IP range is always changing and that it won’t work if you select an IP range. Tell them if they don’t open port 2587 then there is no way anyone using Blue Host shared hosting will be able to use Amazon SES…which is absurd!

But getting port 2587 open for incoming and outgoing is the key to getting Mautic to work on shared hosting. It took me a long time to figure that out seeing as no where does it mention port 2587 in the set up instructions.

Hope that helps. If you’re looking for alternate web hosting, let me know and I’d be happy to suggest one that works great with Mautic.

1 Like

Thanks,

I have been at this for a month trying to get it to work. As you said no where is it listed to open port 2587. It only mentions ports 25,465,587. I have google, youtube, stack something over and over again. I came across your post as I was about to make a post that this was just not working. Finally got this to work because of your post. And then this post is about 3 years old, Jan 2017. There needs to be some explicit up to date information on what to do if you get this error, especially since a lot of people have gotten it. It was just out of wild blue I came across this post. Whew, I can finally move on. Now if I can figure out the IP lookup, been at that for weeks also, to no avail.

1 Like

Glad to hear you tracked this down @deejames and sorry to hear about all the problems you had!

Are you familiar with editing using Markdown and/or Github?

You could add a comment on the documentation if you have a couple of minutes to help others. Just log into Github and click ‘edit’ on this page then submit a pull request with the changes (or you can do this by cloning the repo and editing/making a PR if you’re familiar with Git).