Mautic, Amazon SES, and Bluehost configuration problem Connection refused #111 error

I’ve been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure this out.

I set up an Amazon SES account and validated my domain and email address, including DKIM.

Test email works fine.

I contacted Amazon and they removed the sandbox so I can email anyone.

I set up the email address through Outlook and can send emails that way.

I’m using Bluehost for my hosting/domain and I have a dedicated IP and have been assured several times that ports are not being blocked (and the fact that I can send through Outlook seems to confirm this but I’m not positive this is the case).

My issue is when I configure Mautic I can’t get a successful test connection.

My settings (I’ve tried Plain and Login for SMTP authentication mode) and for ports I’ve tried 25, 465, 587, and 2587 :

mautic.png

LInk if above image doesn’t work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1vquu038yopu8x/mautic.png?dl=0

How do I figure out what to do from here?

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I’ve been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure this out.
I set up an Amazon SES account and validated my domain and email address, including DKIM.
Test email works fine.
I contacted Amazon and they removed the sandbox so I can email anyone.

I set up the email address through Outlook and can send emails that way.

I’m using Bluehost for my hosting/domain and I have a dedicated IP and have been assured several times that ports are not being blocked (and the fact that I can send through Outlook seems to confirm this but I’m not positive this is the case).

My issue is when I configure Mautic I can’t get a successful test connection.
My settings (I’ve tried Plain and Login for SMTP authentication mode) and for ports I’ve tried 25, 465, 587, and 2587 :

LInk if above image doesn’t work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1vquu038yopu8x/mautic.png?dl=0

How do I figure out what to do from here?
Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

ports are block @Evan37

send me an email jninhilario@gmail.com

you need to call bluehost and tell them to open port 2587 for both incoming and outgoing. I was in the exact same situation as you before.

@ninjoan , you helped me on Slack a couple of days ago, if the ports are blocked would the email still work when I set up outgoing email with Outlook?
The email sends fine everywhere except Mautic. Is that still a port issue?

@sourdoughbread I saw your similar post on here. Bluehost assured me 2587 was open. Before you called them was your email sending through any other clients (gmail, outlook,. etc)?

I’m wondering why I can send through Outlook if the ports are blocked but it doesn’t work through Mautic.

How do I know for sure that the port is open?
Thanks

Finally got this resolved, @sourdoughbread was exactly right. After about 3 different people told me port 2587 was open, a 4th told me it wasn’t. I’m using a dedicated IP account so they opened it up and Mautic started working instantly.

Good to know for anyone else experiencing this problem.

@Evan37 Nice. Glad it is resolved.

And by the way, you do not need a dedicated IP with any shared hosting provider. You just need them to open the port 2587 for incoming and outgoing.

Bluehost support is shocking at the moment. I had the same problem as you. Had to wait a 2 hours to get a response, then they did the ‘we don’t block any ports’ routine, until I pointed out that in Bluehost’s own support documents it states that they do block ports. After almost an hour and a half of pointing this out and explaining my situation in terms that a 3 year old might understand, they told me I needed to buy a dedicated IP.

So I switched my host to Siteground.

Glad your issue with ports being blocked was resolved. Personally, I would recommend A2 Hosting .

I’m using A2 myself personally. The support and speed is insane! No issues setting up Mautic (you will have to tell them to open port 2587 thought).