Assigning Categories to Contacts, how does this work?

I see, under Contact Preferences, that it’s possible to assign Categories to Contacts, just like you can Segments.

I also see that this association can be exposed to the user in the Unsubscribe settings.

But what I don’t see is how do you automate these assignments (or unassignments) in the first place?

Seems to me, to make this useful, we need an Campaign Action for this purpose.

Now this would be great because I want to give Contacts the ability to selectively unsubscribe from various mailings but I don’t want to expose my list of segments. There are too many of them. But, I could carefully curate the Category list so that it remained user friendly.

Please, is this why this functionality exists? Am I missing something? Or is more in store in future releases?

I see, under Contact Preferences, that it’s possible to assign Categories to Contacts, just like you can Segments.

I also see that this association can be exposed to the user in the Unsubscribe settings.

But what I don’t see is how do you automate these assignments (or unassignments) in the first place?

Seems to me, to make this useful, we need an Campaign Action for this purpose.

Now this would be great because I want to give Contacts the ability to selectively unsubscribe from various mailings but I don’t want to expose my list of segments. There are too many of them. But, I could carefully curate the Category list so that it remained user friendly.

Please, is this why this functionality exists? Am I missing something? Or is more in store in future releases?

I do agree. However, relating to exposing your list of segments. I think that if you set one segment as private you will avoid to expose it to the contact. “Edit Segment > Public Segment: No”