Can 'email replied' be triggered without an 'email read' first?

My Mautic version is: v4.4.8
My PHP version is: 7.4.33
My Database type and version is: 10.5.19-MariaDB-cll-lve

I was finally able to get email monitoring to work on my Muatic test installation. but I am having issues with capturing Email Replies in some scenarios.

Based on my tests, I could not capture the reply action UNLESS the email was first read.

1. Can Mautic capture a reply, even if the email hasn’t been read?
    When I was testing through my Outlook account, I had to explicitly “Download Pictures” for Mautic to trigger the Email Opened/Read event. I attached a screenshot for this as well.

2. Can Mautic capture the reply if it is sent back with a different email subject line or from a different email account?
    I am wondering if these test cases below should work, I was not able to get them to work myself, but I’m not sure if I did something wrong:

• If I send an email with the subject line “test”, and I get a reply with a different subject line like: “my reply”
    • If I send an email to info@company.com and get a reply back from david@company.com

Here are my screenshots:

Download picture is correct - as the opening can only be recognized by loading the tracking.gif from Mautic.

However, whenever someone clicks a link within the mail, the “email opened” event should be called implicitly (nobody can click without opening it first). Don’t know if thats the case yet.

What do you mean with email replied? How will you track this? Are you using a plugin or some mailbox monitoring?

Yes, I am monitoring the mailbox, and after many tests am I not able to capture a Reply event UNLESS I get a Read event first.

I’m not sure if Mautic is designed that way, or if I am doing something wrong. But I think it would make sense to be able to capture a reply even if a read event was not triggered.

For reference, I am adding the test campaign and an event history screenshot from my test contact:

1 Like