How are you managing email sending for multiple cients (each client with its own instance of mautic)?

Hi Everyone - like several of you, I am putting together a version of Mautic to be used in a Saas type of way. My question to you all is: how are you managing email setups for multiple clients?

Are you using a single AWS SES account with different verified domains (one domain per client)? That seems dangerous b/c of the shared IP and the risk of one bad sender ruining it.

Do you have a separate AWS SES (or other email) account for each client?

Are you using the client’s own, pre-existing email platform, if they have one?

Something else entirely?

Basically, I’m trying to keep the setup as simple as possible for the client, but I am having trouble conceptualizing the best path forward for email accounts.

Thanks for any light you can shine on this!

I use separate mailgun account for each client. But have used multiple domains on one account.

Thanks @mzagmajster - do you set up and manage the accounts for them and then just charge them whatever you do for X amount of emails/month? And then you have the client’s IT team add the appropriate DNS records?

I’ll have to check out mailgun, also. Keeps cropping up as a good alternative to SES.

Most of the time client is managing the account, I just help if they get stuck, so cost for the mailgun is on them.

Anyway, if you are exploring for possible ways to do this, here is another provider: < https://omnivery.com/ > - competition to the mailgun, I have not had a chance to use it as much (just wrote the integration plugin for Mautic :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hi. We have a very efficient way of managing multiple instances for our clients. First, were using CPanel and softaculous on a dedicated server. We use softaculous to create our first instance, customize it to what we need, then use the clone feature in softaculous to create new Mautic instance - each with all our custom plug-ins and fields copied over. For sending of emails, we use https://elasticemail.com/ which allows us to create subaccounts for each instance of mautic so we can keep track of the emails we are sending for our clients each month. The only downside of Elastic Mail is that it is smtp based and slower than an API based email provider. for our clients that send a lot of emails, we use sparkpost which is much more expensive, but super-fast.

Hope that helps!

Thanks @gary.harrison. For Mautic instances, I do something very similar with AWS and their Machine Images.

For your elasticmail accounts, what plan are you using? Its definitely more expensive than AWS SES, but looks like it might be more manageable for multiple clients.

Hi,

I believe the elastic mail API pricing is similar to ses - Email API Pricing Plans | Elastic Email

Yes, just wondering if you were using a dedicated IP for each client. Thanks - should have just asked that!

Hi, we are using amazon ses. Besides the regular sns feedback loop we added one more, that goes directly to our backend. All bounces and complaints are registered centrally, so we know if there is an issue before it becomes an issue.
Dkim and spf settings are set up during onboarding, that ensures better deliverability.

Hi @joeyk - thanks for chiming in. Are you using one AWS account for all of your clients? Or setting up a separate AWS account for each client? Though I believe I read that you can’t use your email (like eric@gmail.com) as the username for more than one AWS account. Ugh! Why is AWS so confusing that way??

I do know you can use “AWS Organizations” but I haven’t wanted to take that on quite yet.

Thanks for any insights.

Hey, no just one account. It is not legal to have multiple AWS account / entity.
We are of course ‘facechecking’ our clients. When we started I created a script, that disables sending if the bounce rate goes over a certain treshhold, but we have never used it.

Your goal is to find clients, who want to growm and not to spam.

“Your goal is to find clients, who want to growm and not to spam.”

Absolutely agree @joeyk . Right now I’m investigating the best way to manage emails for clients, making it as easy as possible for them to get started, and also to not confuse billing. A single AWS account is where I’m currently at…but I also only have one client at the moment, so…lol. Just trying to be prepared for the next one and the one after!

Maybe we’ll see new video on this top? “The one with the Managing Email for Multiple Clients”.

HAHA :smiley: Love the inside joke.
I’ll do my best. I’ve been busy with getting ourselves profitable, and developing the Tutorials plugin, but I’ll go back to do some fun with Mautic soon again for Youtube.

1 Like

@ericgr - Elastic allows you to choose for each sub-account if they are using the shared IP or a dedicated one. We make it an option for our clients, and pass the cost on to them…

Thanks for the clarification, @gary.harrison. Much appreciated.

But but but but wait … joeyk supposed to do my tutorial video first … I asked first!! I had him first!!

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

Anyway, I also use AWS and I believe you can have more than one SES account setup by using IAM credentials with its own API keys so you don’t need to share the same API key for SES to use for mutiple copies of Mautic. I could be wrong thou. I am still learning AWS.

Also, I would prefer opening client their own AWS account cuz you never know who your client really is.

If they turn out to be a spammer and generate lot of bounces then Amazon will suspend that account and you wouldn’t want it to be your account with multiple clients on it meaning every of your clients Mautic account will not be able to send emails out as well because one of your client was spamming.

Take a look at the CPanel option. Aside form spinning up the instance, it’s also doing our SSL, domain forwarding, emails - takes us about 5 minutes to spin up new, custom instances.

Unfortunately, this will probably be a problem with M5…

Are you implying that cPanel are going to have a problem with M5?

Yes, exactly @techbill. That’s what I’m afraid of. Though I think what you are describing in AWS comes through using “AWS Organizations”. After taking a look around, it does seem like Elastic Email has a better solution with subaccounts and the option to have a private IP for each subaccount. Looks like they might also do SMS.

1 Like

I was never able to get a composer install to work with cPanel, but it could just be me or how our cPanel s setup. hopefully M5 will still support non-composer installs as well - as we us the clone features built into softaculous extensively.