Mail being delivered to spam/junk folders

I’ve been running Mautic for about a week now, and am using Amazon SES as the SMTP server. I’ve created a double optin campaign, with segments for a pending list and a confirmed list. To subscribe to the list, contacts need to confirm their subscription via a confirmation email, and once done, this moves them to the confirmed list.

Almost half of my contacts (41%) are still on the pending list - the event history for these pending contacts shows that the email confirmation has been sent, but they haven’t responded to it. I’m assuming that the confirmation email has ended up in the contact’s junk/spam mailbox.

It’s only mail to gmail and hotmail addresses that stay in the pending list, but there are also a lot of gmail and hotmail addresses now in the confirmed list too.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is 41% a normal rate? Should I change my mail server? Are there any configurations I may have missed out in Mautic, or is the problem likely to be in Amazon SES?

I’ve included a message upon signup to tell people to check their spam mailbox. Other than that, I’m stuck at where to go from here.

I’ve been running Mautic for about a week now, and am using Amazon SES as the SMTP server. I’ve created a double optin campaign, with segments for a pending list and a confirmed list. To subscribe to the list, contacts need to confirm their subscription via a confirmation email, and once done, this moves them to the confirmed list.

Almost half of my contacts (41%) are still on the pending list - the event history for these pending contacts shows that the email confirmation has been sent, but they haven’t responded to it. I’m assuming that the confirmation email has ended up in the contact’s junk/spam mailbox.

It’s only mail to gmail and hotmail addresses that stay in the pending list, but there are also a lot of gmail and hotmail addresses now in the confirmed list too.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is 41% a normal rate? Should I change my mail server? Are there any configurations I may have missed out in Mautic, or is the problem likely to be in Amazon SES?

I’ve included a message upon signup to tell people to check their spam mailbox. Other than that, I’m stuck at where to go from here.

It could be a number of things not related to spam.

1. Your emails could be going to gmails promotions tab (that no one looks at).
  2. Despite signing up for things, not all users then follow through with the double opt-in. The good news is, those users who do follow through with double opt-in are typically well engaged.

If it is because you are hitting spam, check things like SPF, and DKIM set ups. Also, check the content of your email for trigger words, HTML/readable text ratios etc. There are lots of good articles around on the topic.

Thanks for your help.

I’ve looked at the SPF and DKIM settings on my host. I’ve recently changed host from Bluehost to Siteground - interestingly, the SPF settings were still using the old Bluehost settings, so I’ve changed this to the Siteground settings. DKIM was disabled. I’ve now enabled this. I’ll see if this helps.

Also in the SPF settings on my host is a section for adding “Additional Hosts that send mail for your domains (A)”

• do I simply add the Amazon SES domain here?

Charles,
Without knowing your set up, I’m not 100% certain. However, go for gold :slight_smile:.

Again, don’t be surprised if you are just be beaten up by Gmail’s promo tab, and Microsoft’s focused inbox features.

Cheers
Jo