Mautic Setup on Fatcow Hosting

Hi guys,

Trying to figure out how to install Mautic directly through our ftp client into our website root at oursite.com/mautic but we are getting a “500 internal server error”

Here’s the link

http://hedera.co/mautic/

We downloaded the mautic zip file, decompressed it, and uploaded the mautic file directly to the root folder, but it seems like there are definitely more steps… Just not sure where to find those next steps.

I guess my initial questions would be:

1.) Is there a config file in the mautic folder that needs us to update information?

2.) Is this a database issue?

3.) I saw that “Composer” was another necessary download and have since downloaded it… I just don’t seem to see any documentation on how that fits in…

Just trying to get this set up so we can start checking out the cool software! Hope we get it up and running.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi guys,

Trying to figure out how to install Mautic directly through our ftp client into our website root at oursite.com/mautic but we are getting a “500 internal server error”

Here’s the link

http://hedera.co/mautic/

We downloaded the mautic zip file, decompressed it, and uploaded the mautic file directly to the root folder, but it seems like there are definitely more steps… Just not sure where to find those next steps.

I guess my initial questions would be:

1.) Is there a config file in the mautic folder that needs us to update information?
3.) I saw that “Composer” was another necessary download and have since downloaded it… I just don’t seem to see any documentation on how that fits in…

Just trying to get this set up so we can start checking out the cool software! Hope we get it up and running.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Hedera

There is definitely an installation process which it doesn’t appear you have completed yet. But, I think you’ve got another hosting / config issue to deal with before you can even do that.

From the error I see and my first guess - you’ve got a conflict with .htaccess. We use .htaccess to re-configure PHP and Apache to behave certain ways. But, sometimes those settings aren’t permitted by the hosting company. When that happens generally there is a 500 error.

There’s a few ways to handle this:

1. ask your hosting company to fix it. They can look at the error log, find out which line is conflicting and resolve the error.
  2. Fix it yourself. You’ll need to look at your web server error log (assuming that is apache) and see what rules its complaining about, and then change them in the .htaccess file as-needed. I’d recommend this only if you have some server level experience in fixing things.

Note: I could be wrong about the .htaccess file issue, but it just feels like that to me.

Regarding your specific questions:

There is a config file, but it gets written by the installer process, which also does database queries when executed. You definitely need to run the installer application (which you can’t even get too because of the 500 error right now)

Not a database issue as far as I can tell.

3.) Composer is necessary only if you are working directly with the github source. Github source is for people working on the code. If you downloaded a package from Mautic.org then everything that people get from composer, will already be included in the mautic.org package.

Definitely let us know how things work out with Fatcow - we want to make sure mautic runs there perfectly well so share back any information you get about what is fixed and how!

I’m also interested in this, as I have a client using FatCow hosting (currently with MadMimi for email management), and I’d love to try out the Mautic/SendGrid alternative.

Hi Benhunt

Have you tried it out and had any issues? is there anything else you need help with on this?

Hi Chad, I have the same problem of Hedera but I have no error reported in log file.
I’m install Mautic on apache. In /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log and /usr/local/apache/logs/suexec_log I found no errors.
Any ideas?
Thks
Fabio

Hi Fabio

So the 500 error is more than likely caused by our .htaccess file. But, this is a very common .htaccess file so its probably something that your host has to fix for you, or if you have some server knowledge you can take a look at it yourself.

What you should do is check to make sure mod_rewrite is enabled:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/869092/how-to-enable-mod-rewrite-for-apache-2-2

And also make sure the rewrite engine is on, enabled, and that your apache.conf / vhost.conf allows overrides to be written by the .htaccess file.

This page came up as the third result when I googled “install mautic on shared hosting”. I’m running a site on FatCow hosting and received a 500 error after unzipping the zip file and going to the directory in my browser.

I called support and they found that there was a problem with the php memory limits. The support guy changed the php memory limit and the install went through with no problem.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution.