May mautic replace my standard newsletter tool?

I wonder, whether I may replace my existing newsletter service with help of mautic + a professional SMTP service?

I also want to replace my traditional newsletters. I found the optin/optout explanation here https://www.mautic.org/blog/integrator/creating-a-double-opt-in-email-campaign/ and understood how to setup campaigns. But I’m confused on how to setup a campaign for it: Because regular campaigns seems to be triggerd by an event (signup, form filled, …) but for a newsletter I have to:
1st: Trigger sending a new email manually.
2nd: You do not start at the beginning of a campaign and get all the old emails but all contacts are at the same step and will just get the next newsletter.

May be it is worth to think about opt-in and sending newsletter as different steps/processes. There also might be a couple of different ideas of what a newsletter exactly does and is, so based on that, there are different solutions which are not necessarily based on a campaign:

1. Tutorial-Style newsletter: A strict sequence of newsletters, each contact should get all of the newsletters one by one. In that case you can use s sequence of point triggers instead of using a campaign. This works fine if you have contacts that have already done the opt-in
  2. Classical newsletter: General news newsletter and every contact gets the same latest one. In that case put all your newsletter-receiving contacts in the same segment and choose new segment email, i.e. without using a campaign. In addition you can let grow your leads by setting up point triggers. This works fine if you have contacts that have already done the opt-in.
  3. Campaign for newsletter sign-up: For new contacts that are signing up for the newsletter, you need to setup the double opt-in email campaign as explained in the link you mentioned. After that, you can use that segment for a style 1. or style 2. newsletter
  4. Facebook/Xing-Style newsletter: A customized newsletter which send individual results to each contact. In that case you need to create custom fields, use the API to update them and create a campaign that triggers the final content of each field and puts all the fields together for the customized emails

Thanks! This really helps me a lot!

I wonder, whether I may replace my existing newsletter service with help of mautic + a professional SMTP service?

Absolutely can. You can choose from a variety of SMTP services (or even IMAP on your own server - Though I would caution on that path depending on the number of contacts you are sending to).

Hope that helps!