Personal email should not contain an unsubscribe header (Custom Email)

Thanks for all your contributions. I try to summarize and propose a solution for further discussion:

Mautic sends 3 types of emails:

1. Custom Email: One on one personal emails
  2. Marketing Emails: E.g. newsletters
  3. Transactional Emails: E.g. subscribe to a newsletter

I think we agree:

1. Custom Email: Custom Emails should not have any unsubscribe or other indication that this email comes from a list. It should be the same as if the person sends it from their personal email client.
  2. Marketing Emails: Should remain the same as they are now (bulk and unsubscribe). And it should also not be possible to remove the unsubscribe header. Since this is just best practice and will only hurt the client’s domain reputation in the long run.

3. Transactional Emails
So we only need to talk about transactional emails. I checked how others are doing it:

• Mailchimp Subscribe to list: no precedence, no unsubscribe
  • Amazon SES verification successful: no precedence, no unsubscribe
  • Apple store delivery notification: no precedence, no unsubscribe
  • Github Issue notification: Precedence: list, List-Unsubscribe

As mentioned before, I also think it can be risky and has the potential for misuse. But since Transactional emails are only available in Campaigns and Forms (normally one-to-one communication), I think it could be ok.

How to turn it on or off for transactional emails
While I like the idea that the user has not to do anything I’m not sure the consequences will be clear to the marketer user. That’s while I propose that we have a setting where the admin user can turn it on or off. This gives also the possibility to display a help text as an explanation.

Proposed Solution

1. Personal Email: Remove it (unsubscribe)
  2. Marketing Email: Keep it as is
  3. Transactional Email: Add an email setting that turns it (bulk and unsubscribe) on or off
5 Likes