The site is currently offline due to encountering an error. Ubuntu 14.04 LAMP (Digital Ocean)

Hi,

I am trying to install Mautic on a Digital Ocean Server (Ubuntu 14.04 LAMP)

I have read other related questions here in the forum (I hope I read them all) and this is what I have done already

1. Install folder: /var/www/html/mautic /I created this folder using a FTP manager and then used terminal to unzip the files in there

2. Modrewrite enabled

3. .htaccess file is in the /var/www/html/mautic directory

But I cannot install Mautic when I open in my browser domain.com/mautic/

I get the dreaded

“The site is currently offline due to encountering an error. If the problem persists, please contact the system administrator.

System administrators, check server logs for errors.”

===========================================================================

This is the Error Log - it points to having something to do with the inability to create the cache directory.
Code:
[:error] [pid 1953] [client 212.7.205.12:12778] exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Unable to create the cache directory (/var/www/html/mautic/app/cache/prod)n' in /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php:516nStack trace:n#0 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(487): AppKernel->buildContainer()n#1 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(252): AppKernel->initializeContainer()n#2 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(71): AppKernel->boot()n#3 /var/www/html/mautic/index.php(56): AppKernel->handle(Object(Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Request))n#4 {main}

[:error] [pid 1954] [client 212.7.205.12:12814] exception ‘RuntimeException’ with message ‘Unable to create the cache directory (/var/www/html/mautic/app/cache/prod)n’ in /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php:516nStack trace:n#0 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(487): AppKernel->buildContainer()n#1 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(252): AppKernel->initializeContainer()n#2 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(71): AppKernel->boot()n#3 /var/www/html/mautic/index.php(56): AppKernel->handle(Object(Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Request))n#4 {main}

I manually created the folders "cache" and in cache I created "prod" both CHMOD 755. This didn't help and am not sure if it made things worse:)

This is day 2 of trying this out and am getting a bit desperate.
Any help and guidance will be much appreciated as I really like to start using it on my server.

Thanks so much.

Hi,

I am trying to install Mautic on a Digital Ocean Server (Ubuntu 14.04 LAMP)

I have read other related questions here in the forum (I hope I read them all) and this is what I have done already

1. Install folder: /var/www/html/mautic /I created this folder using a FTP manager and then used terminal to unzip the files in there

2. Modrewrite enabled

3. .htaccess file is in the /var/www/html/mautic directory

But I cannot install Mautic when I open in my browser domain.com/mautic/

I get the dreaded

“The site is currently offline due to encountering an error. If the problem persists, please contact the system administrator.
System administrators, check server logs for errors.”

===========================================================================
This is the Error Log - it points to having something to do with the inability to create the cache directory.

[:error] [pid 1953] [client 212.7.205.12:12778] exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Unable to create the cache directory (/var/www/html/mautic/app/cache/prod)n' in /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php:516nStack trace:n#0 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(487): AppKernel->buildContainer()n#1 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(252): AppKernel->initializeContainer()n#2 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(71): AppKernel->boot()n#3 /var/www/html/mautic/index.php(56): AppKernel->handle(Object(Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Request))n#4 {main}

[:error] [pid 1954] [client 212.7.205.12:12814] exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Unable to create the cache directory (/var/www/html/mautic/app/cache/prod)n' in /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php:516nStack trace:n#0 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(487): AppKernel->buildContainer()n#1 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(252): AppKernel->initializeContainer()n#2 /var/www/html/mautic/app/AppKernel.php(71): AppKernel->boot()n#3 /var/www/html/mautic/index.php(56): AppKernel->handle(Object(Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Request))n#4 {main}

I manually created the folders “cache” and in cache I created “prod” both CHMOD 755. This didn’t help and am not sure if it made things worse:)

This is day 2 of trying this out and am getting a bit desperate.
Any help and guidance will be much appreciated as I really like to start using it on my server.

Thanks so much.

Make sure everything in your /var/www/html directory is owned by www-data:www-data. Even with proper 755/644 permissions, if the directory’s contents are owned by root or another user, Apache and PHP will have issues properly running any application.

Thanks @mbaker for your help.

I have used the following to change the ownershop of /var/www/html

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html

Then I reinstalled everything but…

unfortunately to no avail as I still get error messages

================================================

[Wed Dec 09 04:19:42.049431 2015] [:error] [pid 1987] [client 91.232.136.87:24197] exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Unable to create the cache directory (/var/www/html/mautic2/app/cache/prod)n' in /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php:516nStack trace:n#0 /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php(487): AppKernel->buildContainer()n#1 /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php(252): AppKernel->initializeContainer()n#2 /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php(71): AppKernel->boot()n#3 /var/www/html/mautic2/index.php(56): AppKernel->handle(Object(Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Request))n#4 {main}

[Wed Dec 09 04:19:48.876779 2015] [:error] [pid 1984] [client 91.232.136.87:24198] exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Unable to create the cache directory (/var/www/html/mautic2/app/cache/prod)n' in /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php:516nStack trace:n#0 /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php(487): AppKernel->buildContainer()n#1 /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php(252): AppKernel->initializeContainer()n#2 /var/www/html/mautic2/app/AppKernel.php(71): AppKernel->boot()n#3 /var/www/html/mautic2/index.php(56): AppKernel->handle(Object(Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Request))n#4 {main}

================================================
Is there anything else what I can try. I’m not going to give up yet:)

Thanks so much again

I will answer my own question:)

I think one thing I forgot was to restart the apache server.

That so far has done the trick so I at least can start the install.
Will replicate the whole process on a new server to see if I can make it work there as well.